• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It never ends, does it?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

110mph_resized.jpg

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca

So, I rebuilt my head last year, and threw a new timing chain/guides at it while I had the head off. I figured that would get me a couple more years out of my tired old engine. It was truly the worst thing I ever did. Ever since installing the rebuilt head, it seems that oil consumption has gone UP, not down, and blue smoke is getting worse. I suspect that the now properly sealing head has forced the next weak link, which is the rings.

On top of that, I've recently been hearing the telltale signs of a bad bearing. Low rumbles, turning into knocking while cruising. AT 3000rpm it's quite audible, and I know this motor is on it's last legs now. I'm sure it will last for a while yet, but I've pretty much written it off already. It still pulls hard, but makes noise, and blows blue.

I decided to give it an oil change today, in hopes of helping it out a bit. HA! Now that it is full of fresh oil, it smokes worse than ever. I believe the word I'm looking for is HOOPED!

The problem is, I can't afford to fix it right now. I have a better engine in my 75, but it was a bit smokey as well, although not worse than this one, and at least it's quiet. Not sure if I want to go through all that, just for another dead engine in a few months. What a pisser. The prospect of a rebuild is laughable right now, as all my cash gets sucked up by the business these days, and if I'm going to rebuild, I want some POWER, which costs more bucks.

I've considered a conversion, but won't cut into my car for an M20, and can't afford an S14, so that is out. Bahhhhhh, this sucks a bunch. Anyone have a nice, rebuilt engine that they want to swap for some interior work? I'm sure that's a long shot, but you never know.

Anyway, this is just a rant, not really a plea for help, unless you feel like donating an engine or engine parts to my cause! HA! I'm sure I'll get the summer out of my mill, but I know I will need to do something very soon.

Al - feeling very 02 cash poor, and kinda 02 burned out right now.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

uncaged_lisa.jpg

URL: http://www.livejournal.com/users/jennaishealed/

ive gone through my car literally bolt by bolt, but now ive consumed a fuel pump and i have to do this horribly exhausting (;p) fuel tank repair... but man, power-on (LSD'd) oversteer coming around a tight one, ass hanging in the weeds and that big block M10 roar combined with much opposite lock and sweating... just wait till you get the sebring installed.. AHHHHHH!!! ;)

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

try is running thicker oil. I had a similar problem in the '70s and by running Kendal 60w racing it really cut the consumption. Starting it here in L.A. was no problem, but I'm glad I didn't have an oil-pressure gauge. I think you can get 70w now. I was running a 2002 head on the 1600-2 motor at the same time.

Guest Anonymous

157k...before then, no oil use at all between changes...well maybe a pint in 3k. After the head work, the rings started pumping and I'm down to about a quart in 500 miles--at nearly 215k. Guess I shouldn't complain tho...don't let that bearing get bad or you'll ruin your crankshaft...as Martha would say, that's not a good thing.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

You didn't say what you used for oil. Valvoline makes an oil for older high mileage engines called Max Life. Use 20W50. Price is competitive with other non-synthetic name brand oils.

A friend with an independent BMW repair shop has used this in some of his customer's cars with lots of miles with good success.

Guest Anonymous

Shucks, Al, you know I need an interior, and I've had a tii engine all crated up and ready to ship for a couple months. And it got sold this week to Jay's buddy in Montana, and I have to arrange shipping for it ASAP.

But you're right, it never ends.

Best,

Richard

'00 M5

'88 M3

'67 1600-2 undergoing S14 conversion

all expensive toys

Guest Anonymous

....from britt's "kick a man while he's down" papers ; )

just put in one of your spare motors man.

Guest Anonymous

...he's the one who has bankrolled my entire M2 project and much, much more over the years. So, I'm sure that he won't have a problem with buying you a new engine!

Ha! On a serious note, there is a FAQ Board member who I sent to my shop to do an M2 conversion. They just pulled a nice looking tii motor out of his car and I don't know what he is doing with it. I'd be happy to contact him on your behalf to see what the deal is with that. In terms of barter, if it worked out for you, I'd insist that you fix the upholstery around my defroster vents at the next CA Fest!

PS: For the record, Daddy would personally shoot me if he knew what I'd spent on toys over the years...and gladly do the time!

Coop (a renter thanks to toys habits)