• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date code on these wheels?

Mike A

Can any of you detail geeks decipher the date code if there is one on this wheel? Thanks, Mike

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

The modern version of the early OEM alloy rim, manufactured by FPS (Fratelli Pedrini Sarezzo), the same manufacturer as the period version, has been in production for, perhaps, 20 years.

Modern versions are immediately distinguishable from the period versions: the cast-in “FPS” appears on the outside of modern versions versus the reverse on period versions. Below, a period version.

Regards,

Steve

2EDE7D6A-AD3D-41E4-8D44-FE818CFC39ED.jpeg

A4DFD256-B6C7-485C-8916-BDC301A4CF86.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Mike,

After a year of looking for a good period set of early OEM alloys for my ‘73, and coming up empty-handed, I put a set of the modern versions on the car. I did have a single period version, so that became my spare (illustrated in my last posting).

Same design, same quality, same manufacturer. But the fully visible “FPS” is the telltale of the modern version.

I believe all four of my modern rims are dated November 2010.

Regards,

Steve

5BF8D637-3D50-4C0A-A46A-3F8C0D262AB5.jpeg

894A63CD-585C-4ABC-8633-732242B5A8C9.jpeg

5D97489C-DEC1-456B-9DB1-F0E46B782DE5.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Truth be told, the modern versions are a much smoother casting than the early ones.  I have 11 early wheels--painfully gathered over 25 or so years of looking before they started to reproduce them--and the natural finish on the outside is much rougher than the newer ones.

Better technology or ???

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Those that came with the car are various dates from 2002 to 2007.... they'll do until I can source a set of  4 steelies with 72 dates. Thanks for the info Steve, Mike

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

• 2 years later...

I lieu of a new thread, I'm reviving this one. as it seems like the inquiry fits.  I'm looking for information about original alloys that are embossed on the rear with FPS and factory logo yet have no date code chart.  When did BMW contract these wheels, sans date but FPS to the rear.  Image below to illustrate.  Thanks in advance.  Apology for the shadow...

IMG_6935.thumb.png.91f178d564ef8b86d537dc349c1275aa.png

15 hours ago, STrifecta said:

I lieu of a new thread, I'm reviving this one. as it seems like the inquiry fits.  I'm looking for information about original alloys that are embossed on the rear with FPS and factory logo yet have no date code chart.  When did BMW contract these wheels, sans date but FPS to the rear.  Image below to illustrate.  Thanks in advance.  Apology for the shadow...

IMG_6935.thumb.png.91f178d564ef8b86d537dc349c1275aa.png

The early OEM alloys were introduced ca. April 1971, as components of the Sport Paket for the touring model, also introduced in April 1971. I believe I have seen some early OEM alloys with a date stamp. Thus, I suspect the un-dated versions are among the earlier examples of these rims. I don’t believe the early OEM alloys were manufactured for long. The late OEM alloys were introduced ca. September 1973, and I’d guess that the early alloys weren’t manufactured much after the mid 1970’s. The modern repos seem to have 

appeared ca. 1999 — or so — making their production run far longer than the run of the period versions.

Does anyone have early OEM alloys with casting dates?

Regards,

Steve

I can't recall ever finding a date code--or something that resembled one--on any of the original roundie alloy wheels I have.  One is an NOS example--found at the Hershey flea market many years ago--that was probably an un-used spare--no marks on the paint around the lug holes, but evidence of a tire being mounted on the wheel.  

A takeaway from that early--and all original--wheel.  Only the front side of the wheel was painted silver; the back side is primer grey (per Strifecta's picture), with some silver overspray misted through the vent holes in the wheel.  Apparently the modern versions are painted silver front and back.  The steel wheels--at least those on roundies--were done the same way:  a shiny black finish on the back (probably applied by the wheel manufacturer) with appropriate overspray, and silver on the front side.  All of my steel wheels are Lemmertz; did Kronprinz do the same thing?

Another bit of 02 trivia...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, Mike Self said:

… All of my steel wheels are Lemmertz; did Kronprinz do the same thing?…

Thank you, Mike,

I’ve only — thus far(!) — seen the silver-face-over-black-body treatment on Lemmerz steel rims, not on Kronprinz or Solrad steel rims. The latter two manufacturers appear to have painted the entire rims silver. Maybe this broad statement will bring out some contradictory evidence! ?

Best regards,

Steve