• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do YOU think.. POR tank kit or Eastwoods??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

chilibox.jpg

silly handling charges... i placed that order; damage is done. The eastwood kit has less stuff and it looks more generic than the POR stuff, but i could be wrong. the por kit comes with some gas stabilizer which i dont need, but if it ever goes back on stands for a long while i might use it.

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.hirschauto.com/newpages/gastankrepair.htm

Bill Hirsch sells some nice products, I used his etch & sealer on an old euro E24 tank.

I would also caution that it's not the first choice to coat a gas tank for repair. If you can get a new 02 tank for under $200, I'd suggest that instead. SEcond choice would be a clean used tank, and only after that would I do the tank sealer.

I had to do the etch & seal slosh dance with the 70L tank. You will get a workout from swinging the tank around & around endlessly to coat the innards.

Read the info Hirsch has on the site, he likes to compare his stuff to the POR brand. His "Miracle Paint" is like a POR-15 rust paint, and the brush-on high temp exhaust paint works very well

I once had a tour of the RE-NU gas tank resto plant. Their service was available thru many radiator shops in our area, who shipped the tanks to RE-NU for the actual work. The result is better than the DIY kit, but still not as good as an original used tank with no problems.

Guest Anonymous

I just bought the individual POR components and not the kit Metal Ready $4.50, Marine Clean $3.50 and Tank sealer $13.00 from PRP Por-15 store. It's still in the box. Next after vacation.

Guest Anonymous

used one.

Look inside your tank...if you can't see any rust (or there's just a little) and obviously there are no rust holes--you should be able to do a good job of cleaning it out yourself. Remove the sender unit, drain plug and filler pipe rubber, pour in a gallon or so of hot water and strong detergent (sonmething with TSP) and slosh around. Let it sit for 30 min or so, then pour out. Repeat as necessary depending on how much crud came out. Finally, stick a hose in the sender unit opening and position the tank so the water will run out the filler neck. Squirt hard until the water runs clear. Turn upside down in the sun to dry.

I did the above on a 7 gal Renault gas tank--got a 1 lb coffee can full of crud out of the tank! Drove the car over a year afterwards with nary a flake of rust in the filter screens.

Good luck

Mike