• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speaking of A4's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

what 'bolt-on' performance products are suitable and/or appropriate for a 74tii? i'd like to get a little more hp without going inside the engine.

TIA

Guest Anonymous

As it has been said before an engine is nothing more then an airpump. It has a capacity - no more.

BMW was pretty good at delivering an efficient product. I don't beleive that there exists "bolt on" upgrades of the same magnitude as say a domestic car.

That being said your tii already has some of the better upgrades, high compression, tii manifold, tii injection.

So for your tii not a lot exists unless you open up the engine and thus effectively increase the efficency of the "pump"

Guest Anonymous

thank you for the info, i can now put that one little voice inside my head to rest....wish i could shut the other ones up!!

Guest Anonymous

hemi pistons, heads, rods, cam, a4 injection, porting is it really that easy to turn off the voice in the head?

Guest Anonymous

plagarized that out of an old Roundel article interview he gave regarding tii's. It is true though. Many people here with first hand experience, however IMHO your best bet is to up the cam-I suppose you could say it requires "going in", putting in a 278 or 284 I think gives you the most bang for the buck, don't have to fool with the pump. Also gives you an opportunity to port match your head and intake manifolds. Then of course having someone tune your engine "right", replace your linkages etc., Since you are going in, put in a set of 39mm exhaust valves (why not).

Guest Anonymous

How much more power to expect with simple bolt-ons? You can make it run smoother with a better ignition, you could put a cam if you know how to address the fueling, but I don't think you can squeeze more without opening it...

Guest Anonymous

Do you want more top speed? Do you want more accerlation?

If you don't have 3.91 LS then maybe you should consider one. If you want an even quicker car perhaps a 4.10 LS would be even better. Keeping the RPMs up on your tii would be one of the ways of getting more performance out of it.

Guest Anonymous

chilibox.jpg

induction/fuel system... it took BMW MANY MANY MANY years to effectively replace that early mechanical system with one that equalled its performance and efficiency ... the 1991 318is had twice as many valves, an extra cam, state of the art pulsed electronic injection and ignition systems, (and admittedly a bit less displacement), and "only" made an extra 8hp over the first '72 tii which preceded it by 19 years and many generations of induction technology... amazing, really!

-Rob (wants a tii)

Guest Anonymous

Any idiot can develop a decent EFI system. (Megasquirt is simple and works great, usually)

However, take apart a k-fish and look at the fuel mapping cam and you know you've got something special.

Guest Anonymous

3.90 lsd

multithrotle fuel injection (A4 or similar)

cam adjusting sprocket

It could be all in my head - but the people that driven it or ridden on Bacchus agree - with the A4 bolted on stock 72 tii engine, there are more cars in your rearview mirror. To quantify the difference (with 3.64) reaching 60 on second gear is not a problem, pulls hard to 7k, which wasn't able to do before! Maybe if I keep driving it like that, I will have to rebuild soon!

Guest Anonymous

controlled anything. If you think 'any idiot' could do it, you're missing your chance to make quite a good living doing imbedded systems design work. A capable engineer doing this with a good grasp of HW/SW and an ability to apply the information is probably worth $120-$140K a year if he can lead a team.

If it was easy, there would be _lots_ of SDS knock-off's out there. Simple fact is, bucko, it ain't.

Cheers!

John N