jrhone

Brand New Oil Pumps available at W&N!

11 posts / 613 viewsLast Reply

Why not? It’s probably a little more cash than I would like to tie up in a ‘someday’ part right now (or more accurately, more money than my wife would like to tie up right now ?). 

It it would be a nice warm feeling to have one on the shelf, warding off the risk of ever actually needing it!

Since oil pumps are very well lubricated, they don't wear very fast, so before plunking down lots of $$ or EE's for a new one, use the factory manual specs to check all the clearances between the two gears, and between the gears and outer housing;  If they're within specs you're good to go.  A good cleaning and it's ready for another couple hundred thousand miles.  

At 204k, my '73's pump showed no wear on the gears--I installed a new one simply because I had picked up a new 320i pump on sale...for $75 so figured I might as well use it.  (this was in 2004).  And my '69's oil pump still provides 60 psi at full chat after 226k miles...

mike

The popularity of these cars is resulting in competition between parts vendors / suppliers, and with BMW as well.

A good thing for us. -KB

• Like 3

At current rates, that's not a terrible deal.

t

When I rebuilt my motor last year, I bought a new e21 pump from IE and used my original pickup. Saved about half of a new m10 pump. I think my old pump was still good but since I was there figured I might as well replace it.

8 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

The popularity of these cars is resulting in competition between parts vendors / suppliers, and with BMW as well.

A good thing for us. -KB

They’re not competing, they’re 

conspiring

• Haha 1

And hoarding leads to supply problems.  Take what you need and leave the rest, said the Samples a long time ago, and apparently a lot of other people...

On 1/16/2019 at 7:58 AM, mike said:

use the factory manual specs to check all the clearances between the two gears, and between the gears and outer housing;  If they're within specs you're good to go

I would add that IF the chain was not shimmed correctly, e.g. too tight then the aluminum surface of each side of the housing in which the rotor fits can wear as there is no bushing and there is steel to aluminum contact. Similarly, the housing surface that holds the "lobed ring" can also wear, which is checked by either direct measurement or with a feeler gauge between the lobe and the ring as Mike says.

Seen this on S14 pumps as well.......Of course some shims are NLA.