• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd time asking about fitting a Sebring muffler....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Post suspension.JPG

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca

Since no one answered my original post, and it is quickly getting burried, I thought I'd re-post it.

I've just bought a Sebring muffler for my 76 02, and am wondering what the best way to hang it is. I've only ever used OE type stuff on 02's, which are designed for the original hangers. When I have the exhaust shop bend the new pipes, and hang the muffler, I can't help but think that they will try and use universal rubber hangers on the 02 stock mounts. That won't work very well, or last very long. What do the rest of you guys do? Any pics of your exhausts using different hangers than OE?

I'm thinking about using the original white plastic/nylon bits on the original steel hanger mounts, and then using a universal rubber donut style hanger.

Al

Guest Anonymous

i had the same problem hanging my supersprint. using the stock white plastic hangers in rubber donuts didn't last too long because the donuts didn't hang exactly vertical, and so they popped out after a while, leaving the hanger to rest on only the donut. an exhaust shop ended up fabbing a couple of mounts that functioned like the plastic bits but were made of metal and wrapped around the edge of the donut. so far, no problems, but there are probably better ways of doing it.

Guest Anonymous

a tab welded to the exhaust pipe. SS hardware on each end. Not OEM, but very functional. Never had any problems with it.

Go to a good muffler shop, preferably some one who does racing, fab'ing, or German cars. Just make sure they are aware of the space limitations. Have a pair of brand new donuts and plastic inserts at their disposal, they may make it work with the stock mounting points.

Guest Anonymous

chilibox.jpg

cut them off the old shit and weld em to the new... will probably cost you a few $$ for the time but youd get that "as OEM as I wanna be" feeling... ;)

-Rob (AHHHHAHHAHAHAA!!!!!! SEEBRIIIING!!!!! i need a hanky :P)

Guest Anonymous

JK. You should be able to weld the oem style mounts in front and back of the muffler. It's shorter than an oem muffler so you will have some extra pipe to work with. Both the sebring that I sold Justin and my magnaflow fit perfect doing that.

Guest Anonymous

funny thing. Thats exactly the way I got my supertrapp done, the resonance shattered the pipe, but once I put a resonator in, never have had a problem.

Guest Anonymous

I have a sebring muffler on my 73 using I think the stock mounts. I had it exit the stock location on the pass. side. They had to cut part of the exit metal of the exhaust to make the bend fit. I'll take a second look at it when I get home later this afternoon. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Guest Anonymous

Had a trick header(not Stahl), Anza center and rear sections. After the header cracked 3 times, I went to the stock exhaust header and stock down pipe. The down pipe was the weak link and easily repaired/replaced.

I kept the stock header and down pipe, then added in a straight pipe back to the Supertrapp. Never had any cracking problems.