(edited)

A builder friend who takes photo for me when he sees 1600-2002 roundie

spotted.PNG

Edited by Lucian
correct spelling
  • Like 3

(edited)

Hard to pin it down, Lucian!

The absence of knee trim suggests a pre-April 1971 car (a.k.a., pre-Modell 71). The absence of rear panel reflectors suggests a pre-January 1, 1970 car — er, I think that’s when the rear  panel reflectors were required. And the absence of any sidemarkers suggests a pre-January 1, 1969 car.

But....I see headrests, indicating January 1, 1969 or later. I see a long-tail bumper, indicating April 1971 or later. And the entire car has been re-painted a non-‘02 color, suggesting sidemarkers, reflectors, and even knee trim could have easily been excised post-factory.

Still, I have some inkling that those taillights have red centers (pre approximately January 1, 1970). So I’m going to guess it’s a 1968 that picked up headrest seats post-factory, or a 1969 or early 1970 that lost its sidemarkers in a re-paint!

Please tell your generous friend he’s/she’s going to have to get closer or get a telephoto lens....😋

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Haha 1

I think my friend has his cell, he takes pic with, I do not think I could  get him to carry photo lens, I will ask him to get closer … in 2018 he took  2 pic BMW 1600-2002 and 1 MB 190SL … sad only 2  I used to see lots of 2002 along the Coast but now very rare 2 in a year! … he drives from Ventura to Redondo Beach Daily on Coast HWY  … just a short look and you can tell so much of the cars story … great stuff Conserv   tks … current pic of mine 5th floor new park garage .. stock except for seats (orig good ones in stor) ... L

1600-2 smc 5th fl park.jpg

• Like 4

Yes, I have been wondering about that for years, I think this attached movie still pic, they are that way also-body color?, my 4 wheels on the car are date stamped '68 and my spare is stamped '67 and looks to be factory,  will take pic today.     My car manuf Nov '67 … and is -2, 1st owner was Ariz Lady but have no proof any more other than my orig dealer a/c Frig King story … It did not have fan in front of condenser, now I have largest fan that will fit also condenser was on smaller size … back to no fan in front of condenser it had over flow (that in the day was thought to work)  so if Lady was not driving fast no air flow … maybe what lead to my cracked head? Ben at 2002 AD has my orig a/c stuff if some one wants to go all original  A/C incl dash … compressor can be rebuilt …back to rims 99% I see are silver color ….  L   ps there was only 1 dealer for AZ and he is long gone, I had hopes of finding orig. dealer paper work.  

1600.PNG

20 hours ago, Lucian said:

A builder friend who takes photo for me when he sees 1600-2002 roundie

spotted.PNG

Looks like a 911SC in the garage.  Blue 2002 appears to have a set of e21 wheels.

Unfortunately, I don't see any jack stands under the car, so maybe the owner is relying on a jack (!).

(edited)

All ‘02’s — with which I include all the sub-models — left the factory with silver-painted rims. Well, at least the faces were painted silver: many (most?) round tailllight steelies manufactured by Lemmerz were black and only the faces were painted silver, permitting some overspray to fall on the barrels.

Over the years, however, some owners have painted their rims to match the body color. I’m not even convinced the photograph shows Sahara rims. Certainly, any color factory photos and brochures show the silver rims.

Below, a July 1967 1600-2 brochure and a February 1967 rim in original paint.

Regards,

Steve

6C8DD4E1-5C5C-4E2E-ABC0-EB03430B0667.jpeg

6DB3823E-D923-43FD-AF83-666525D96C35.jpeg

77825067-F1DF-44D8-8EDA-F91673D67E1A.jpeg

BA6593AD-CA41-46E1-9521-191FAEBA29AA.jpeg

69ED15A1-140C-42BE-94C2-12B82D698E19.jpeg

F0FD4DF9-FC99-4DC9-897E-5D593A6A15AF.jpeg

32EB0402-54E3-4D2A-9DD1-B4427D7A4DE6.jpeg

8127DE98-6832-40DA-927F-95F3E88D9317.jpeg

E08BE0A7-A0DB-4CFF-AB27-A5311BF3A4CE.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Ok, silver it is, attached photo of 1600-2 that was in Bruno's garage a fellow had just bought in estate sale 25K orig miles (new owner not interested in Clubs, Forums, I hope takes care of car) and when I saw this car I knew no way mine could ever be as nice, so mine became my driver, tow veh, etc … and silver are his steelies,  I am sold,  will put on my ttd list … L

Bruno's Gar-1.jpg

Becker CA-radio (2).jpg

Bruno's Gar-4.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Ok, silver it is, attached photo of 1600-2 that was in Bruno's garage a fellow had just bought in estate sale 25K orig miles (new owner not interested in Clubs, Forums, I hope takes care of car) and when I saw this car I knew no way mine could ever be as nice, so mine became my driver, tow veh, etc … and silver are his steelies,  I am sold,  will put on my ttd list … L

Bruno's Gar-1.jpg

Becker CA-radio (2).jpg

Bruno's Gar-4.jpg

Wow! Very, very nice. Even a rare Becker California AM radio — not particularly desirable today as an AM-only radio, but rare, and an expensive radio in its day!

Best regards,

Steve

The Dash and radio where mine, look at interior of car and none shown. … I sold my Becker am and install the look alike that is modern … my unit sits a bit to the right (slant) and will have to fig out how to level … the car is a beauty … I worry about it … the owner does no what he has … I hope he garages it day and eve …. L 

20 minutes ago, Lucian said:

my unit sits a bit to the right (slant) and will have to fig out how to level

On the 73 there is an L bracket on the right side, under the dash that secures the console.  If you have the same bracket it could be missing or disconnected.

@Conserv I know (mostly from you)  that all steelies  came from the factory painted silver. 

But @Lucian  I just think your wheels look really good.  I have a Sahara 1600 I thought about doing the same thing  

• Thanks 1