3rd Brake light and 3rd parking light?

8 posts / 362 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Thinking out of the box here. I wonder if it's kosher on the West coat to have a third parking light?  I'll put in a 3rd break light soon, but I was wondering if it was illegal to also use a 3rd rear running light as well. It's dark when I go to work and dark when I come home. Just a little bit paranoid.

obligatory picture

DSC_4650.JPG

Edited by 7502
more info

You could put a lower wattage bulb in the brake light but then it would also be illuminated all the time your lights are on. 

51 minutes ago, 7502 said:

Thinking out of the box here. I wonder if it's kosher on the West coat to have a third parking light?  I'll put in a 3rd break light soon, but I was wondering if it was illegal to also use a 3rd rear running light as well. It's dark when I go to work and dark when I come home. Just a little bit paranoid.

obligatory picture

DSC_4650.JPG

Randomly adding lights that don't adhere to an agreed upon standard is a poor idea. The reason lights work as a safety device is that a majority of people understand what they mean without consciously processing the information that they're presented thousands of times per day. 

Per the FMVSS taillights should be at the vertical centerline of the vehicle. I'm not sure how the Focus hatchback got away with them being on the roof, or maybe that's one reason for the current standard.

Randomly changing lighting location or behavior results in an outlier whose meaning is clear only to the person who made the modification. When enough people do this, the visual information presented to the other drivers is akin to everyone speaking a different language. Like the idiots with the third brake light blinkers. Third brake lights are not supposed to flash on US roads. Daimler Benz even went to court over it. Repeatedly flashing a light in the center of other drivers' field of vision creates alert fatigue and actually makes conditions less-safe by desensitizing people and creating ambiguous signalling conditions. In a split second when the light flashes off, it sends the signal that brakes are no longer being applied. It also presents different signaling (flashing vs solid) for the same condition (braking) on different vehicles. It's distracting at best. Unfortunately it doesn't stop people from "thinking" they're smart, and the folks selling these devices are happy to sell "safety" to any sucker willing to pay.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2011/08/08/2011-19595/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-lamps-reflective-devices-and-associated-equipment

• Like 1

What about a rear factory fog light, they are usually red, mounts off the bumper , not that big. Have seen them both round and rectangular.

I am using a Rigid Industries third brake light which includes a running light and very bright reverse light I mounted it onto the rear parcel shelf , it is great

I've heard of folks getting a citation for having one brake light instead of the required two on a car. But, I've never heard of anyone getting a citation for having an extra or more stop indicators................Seems to me if you have an extra stop light and it being "extra" draws attention, when the light is illuminated....Then you are golden, your car being seen while stopping or driving is the goal......If having another light achieves that goal so be it....................7502 I vote for you to get the light....

ira

At least one person on the FAQ who has a rear (red) fog light has it wired so that it can either be used as a rear fog light in poor visibility situations, or by throwing a switch, will serve as a third brake light.  Easy to wire:  double pole, double throw switch with the wire leading to the fog lamp in the center, and a feed from the brake light circuit on one side, and a feed from the parking lights/headlights on the other.  

8 minutes ago, airborne85 said:

I've heard of folks getting a citation for having one brake light instead of the required two on a car.

Also, FYI, if a car came with only one brake light (most pre WWII cars did) the law only requires one.  My Fiat Topolinos have only a single tail and brake light.  Perfectly legal.

mike

• Like 1

@ Mike...Unintended omission....If your car is only equipped with one light stop light, head light, then of course you wouldn't be cited for not having two stop lights head lights....Thank you for the heads up..

ira

• Like 1