• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake reservoir wires

Hudo's 1st 02

If you have a brake fluid reservoir cap that has a sensor for detecting a low brake fluid level, then the two wires connect to the cap (which has the integrated sensor/float switch) and two electrical connections.  These caps cost $ so are often replaced with a plastic cap with no sensor.

Edited by JohnS

1973 tii Inka - Oranjeboom

1974 tii Fjord/Primer - The Thrasher (my daily driver since 1986)

I'm not sure where they connect into the electrical harness exactly.  They eventually trigger a light bulb on the instrument cluster when the brake fluid level is low.  You would have to trace the wires on a wiring diagram for your year of car to figure out where the wires got clipped on the wiring harness and then re-connect them.  Other folks here will hopefully chime in with a better answer...

Edited by JohnS

1973 tii Inka - Oranjeboom

1974 tii Fjord/Primer - The Thrasher (my daily driver since 1986)

10 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I'm not sure where they connect into the electrical harness exactly.  They eventually trigger a light bulb on the instrument cluster when the brake fluid level is low.  You would have to trace the wires on a wiring diagram for your year of car to figure out where the wires got clipped on the wiring harness and then re-connect them.  Other folks here will hopefully chime in with a better answer...

Yes, I see what you are talking about now. I didn’t look that good at first. But the two wires I’m asking about are coming out of the same harness the brake reservoir goes into. There’s a few wires in the engine bay that are hanging exposed or not connected like these. The previous owner really did a butcher job on the wiring.

1408B9E0-0180-42EF-B95B-048740EDE1D2.jpeg

None of my wiring diagrams have a brake fluid switch other than mention of the brake telltale light on the instrument cluster multi plug. If you have enough wire left on the cap terminal you can compare this with the wire on the cluster multi plug. Then trace in the engine bay and under the dash to see where it is cut. On the cluster there is a red light and a button to push to test the circuit. The plunger on the brake fluid reservoir cap when in a low fluid condition , loses the circuit to light the red light. When you push the button you are likewise completing the circuit to light the red warning light.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

According to the wiring diagram for my '76, the brake fluid reservoir switch has a single blue/brown wire on one connection and 3 brown wires tied into the other.

Both of those connections then run to the Pressure Balance Switch, which has two blue/brown wires on one connection and two brown wires on the other.

My guess is that those connectors are for your Pressure Balance Switch.  No idea what that is though, mine didn't have one installed.

Edited by xr4tic

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!