Sahara

My first “mod”, a Heuer stopwatch on the dash

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)
33 minutes ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Version 2.0.  The clock is looking up and in toward the driver.  Dimensions should be good.  Still need to figure out how to retain the clock in the holder.

image.png

image.png

This is great work. As for retaining it, assuming the mount overlaps the bezel of the watch even slightly, that should probably be enough. ETA: I can't tell from the picture but yo also need to account for the lanyard ring and pusher at the top of the watch, any tilt toward the driver has to leave room  on the "arm" portion for the pusher to tilt as well. I see that there is a scalloped area on the arm but I'm not sure if it's big enough. 

Edited by Sahara

19 minutes ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Version 2.0.  The clock is looking up and in toward the driver.  Dimensions should be good.  Still need to figure out how to retain the clock in the holder.

Fantastic.

I suggest a set of fin-shaped ribs that follow the taper of the case, resulting in tension if the clock is unseated.

This design would also allow for the fins to be left "tall" and shortened for a custom fit if deemed too tight. See crappy doodle sketches for concept. It might require leaving a raised "backing" in the center of the mount above the dash hook, so that the fins can reach high enough to catch the taper of the top portion of the case.

As hard as it it might be for me to describe, it seems (to me) the least complex for a solid part.

914CE1C0-5EDF-41A2-AFFA-3E54AEE732E4.jpeg

9B01812A-7A23-4CC2-8E35-6C33A1809324.jpeg

A48CFA23-5240-4C05-A943-7B6677533603.jpeg

• Thanks 1

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Sahara said:

yo also need to account for the lanyard ring and pusher at the top of the watch, any tilt toward the driver has to leave room  on the "arm" portion for the pusher to tilt as well.

That feature will be in version 3.0 😁

Edited by Tsingtao_1903
  • Like 1

Version 3.0.  The clock sits higher to avoid interfering with the pusher.  The post in the back is for the lanyard ring.  It also acts to retain the clock.  I also have just printed and checked the fit of the hook.  It snapped perfectly to the lip of the dash.  

image.png.6b54b0adeb05da09854a09ade7b44e1b.pngimage.png.f6e6301ea3fe0924cfe82dab52c1e8b8.png

• Thanks 1

(edited)
58 minutes ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Version 3.0.  The clock sits higher to avoid interfering with the pusher.  The post in the back is for the lanyard ring.  It also acts to retain the clock.  I also have just printed and checked the fit of the hook.  It snapped perfectly to the lip of the dash.  

image.png.6b54b0adeb05da09854a09ade7b44e1b.pngimage.png.f6e6301ea3fe0924cfe82dab52c1e8b8.png

The idea to use that peg to retain the lanyard loop and keep the watch in place is GENIUS. At this point, if you have time, all I'd suggest is to get rid of the cant in the direction of the driver. Keep the upward tilt but get rid of the leftward tilt. I think it would just look cleaner and would make it easier for a co-driver to view. Also, more practically, if I have to sand it or do any hand fitting once it's printed, I'd rather that be symmetrical so it's easier to keep track of. That would center the peg also, which would just look neater, IMO. 

Edited by Sahara
  • Like 1

(edited)

Version 4.0.  The holder faces up and straight.  The post is 1/4-20 standard thread and is removable.

image.png.35a04d96ba929861114ca434528e135d.pngimage.png.4df4451e9ecf0d68a2fca1c036251a60.png

Edited by Tsingtao_1903
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Version 4.0.  The holder faces up and straight.  The post is 1/4-20 standard thread and is removable.

image.png.35a04d96ba929861114ca434528e135d.pngimage.png.4df4451e9ecf0d68a2fca1c036251a60.png

Awesome. Is the post a 3-d printable item or an off the shelf screw in this version. Either way is fine, I'm just curious. 

I have a friend with a 3D printer so I can probably make this this weekend and try it out. Thank you so much for designing this. I'd be happy to paypal you whatever you spent on filament printing the prototypes, you've been very generous with your time. 

Pay it forward.  It's been a nice little project.  I've learned a few things.

I am printing the parts now for fit-check.  Will PM you the STL files in a few minutes.

• Like 1