Moto Carlo

Recaro upgrade you opinion

19 posts / 1330 viewsLast Reply

I am shopping seats for my 1976 BMW 2002
I am considering the quilted seats with the net head rest.Cost about the same as the E21 upgrade.

(I would add a quilted strip on the door panels too, so they look like they belong.)
What do you think? Anyone else used the Recaro Lx seats?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Those will work. Do what makes your butt happy. ? 

Cheers,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moto Carlo said:

I am shopping seats for my 1976 BMW 2002. 
I am considering the quilted seats with the net head rest.Cost about the same as the E21 upgrade.

(I would add a quilted strip on the door panels too, so they look like they belong.)
What do you think? Anyone else used the Recaro Lx seats?

1.jpg

2.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, where are you buying the quilted seats from?

I found him on ebay, then found his website. Seems he has sold some seats here on the FAQ before too.

He is overseas and it is a bit of a 'leap',... Check back with me in a few weeks, and I will let you know how it went.

My tip is he regularly updates his seats, so if you do not see anything in a style you like, check back.

I had been waiting for the quilted seats with the open Lx style head rest... finally he made some.

This are original Recaros that he rebuilds. West Germany stamped in the plastic side pieces, correct appearance from below (seat webbing etc.),...

Again ... give it a few weeks, and I will let you know how it went for me.

Here he is:

https://www.mckrecaroseatscars.com/category/5460/1041/recaro-seats-car

This leads me to a follow up question -
How much are the original seats in good condition worth? I might simply keep them with the car or sell to help pay for the Recaros.
Just curious how much they typically go for.

They look great and will be much better that existing... the diamonds look a little hot rod to me... I redid mine and made the pattern vertical very happy with results.

4CF71BF9-4152-44EF-A271-904413D17318.jpeg

6073C072-8C71-4194-9AB1-408816EBDBD2.jpeg

39C9D1FD-A79A-48A0-B556-0A3A1273A19F.jpeg

• Like 7

For spirited driving, I find the LX seats leave a bit to be desired.  Other than that, they look great.

Tangent; What does a JDM 2002 look like?

Looks great. Nicely done Barney.

I know I thought the same thing about the quilt pattern, but if done correctly it could be pretty cool.
Funny how that corny quilt design from the 1970s  GMC cars is now showing up on super cars. (I guess side burns are back too.)

• Like 1

(edited)

Barney, 

Nice match with the stock rear seat.  Who did the re-upholstery?  

Edited by David Layton

The black and white tartan seat looks really nice, if your car doesn’t have a/c IMO the cloth seats are a better choice, but it’s your car and money being well spent !

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Thanks Mario, those are the ones I went for. They are just a part of my overall interior plan... If I were keeping it traditional I would have gone for the standard Recaros, but trying to do something a bit different. I'll post photos as it comes together.

So am assuming you had to get some aftermarket brackets to fit the seats? 

Yes pics would be awesome!

am about to finish my bumper conversion!

73F7072B-D220-4F10-A359-ECCA2F4D520A.jpeg

(edited)

Recently put cloth Recaro LX (C?) in my '75 DD and I am stupidly happy for $700 all in, including rebuilding diaphragms myself and using Aardvark brackets.

If you're over 5'8" I would say you'll likely want Massive Lee's flat brackets, the Aardvark make me feel like I'm sitting too high up, as I am 5'11"

I looked heavily at MCK's redone seats, he's got phenomenal feedback. If you buy directly from his site instead of eBay, you have choices for expedited shipping so you don't have to wait 3 months for the eBay slow boat to deliver.

Edited by Spyke
  • Like 1

(edited)

To answer your follow up question, I don't think old seats are worth much by themselves it seems. The only time they're worth anything is when selling a complete original car, and they're the correct year and pattern to said car.

Individually you'd be lucky to get anything more than $50 each in good shape, maybe $150 each if they're PRISTINE.

Edited by Spyke
  • Like 1