wegweiser

My big 2002 career move!

36 posts / 2025 viewsLast Reply

Classic BMWs! Ahoy!

I'm going to be shifting gears in the vintage and classic BMW world and will be working full time with an old friend and former employer at Maximillian Importing Company once again. I first worked for Max during the summer of 1989, and again for over a decade throughout the 1990s and early 2000s back when we were among the only companies directly importing unique genuine BMW parts from Europe. We have evolved and commerce has changed a great deal since the days of faxing hand-written purchase orders overseas. It's hard to believe it's been nearly thirty years! I can still recite hundreds of 2002 part numbers from memory…and it's high time I put that part of my brain back to work! Do I miss the old **original** beige Apple MacIntosh computer? The one with the 6" screen? Nope. 

I believe in the company's mission, ethics and vision, and can't WAIT to get back in the world of BMW parts. I'll be handling sales, media outreach, and technical support, while maintaining my own weirdo sense of humor and style. I'll be working from a home office to bring my own personal service and ethos to Maximillian Importing Company with intimate (read: ultra nerdy and often boooring) knowledge of the parts we all need to keep our rigs on the road. With this new endeavor, I'll continue to post regular technical articles, parts tips, and stories about the cars that bind our tribe together in to such a great and varied community.  

There's much to be done: Updating websites, building a company blog with technical tips, learning the logistics and software of the company's system, tons of travel and education ahead of me, improving **real-time communication** with all of you…but I expect some truly great things to happen over the next few months. Though the prices on Genuine BMW parts are perhaps the best in the country (which makes my work that much easier), I'm banking on my experience and expertise to keep folks engaged and satisfied, with the knowledge that they are truly getting the very best parts and service possible. I’ll be posting specials and unique items throughout the next few weeks as I get my footing. I’ll also post an update when I go “live” with answering phone calls and e mails via Maximillian Importing. In the mean time…I’m super excited!!! 

For pricing on OEM/Aftermarket parts, e mail me directly at [email protected] since the Maximillian Importing / www.bimmer.com website only lists prices for Genuine BMW parts. 

13935088_10154492010677472_3628452526613985440_n.jpg

• Like 24

Congratulations Paul, I wish you (and Max) all the best in this endeavour. I look forward to seeing what you come up with and the changes you make to the business. 

• Like 1

Welcome back Paul.
Your assistance and expertise at Maximillian helped me immensely putting my ‘76 together.

I do wish you could bring back the days of belt line trim for $160 instead of $160 a piece, but that ship has sailed.
Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SaharaX2 said:

Welcome back Paul.
Your assistance and expertise at Maximillian helped me immensely putting my ‘76 together.

I do wish you could bring back the days of belt line trim for $160 instead of $160 a piece, but that ship has sailed.
Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly, the prices for some items have really gotten beyond the reach of many enthusiasts. I cringe every time I have to parallel park my 02. While I can only work with the prices based on my cost from BMW, there are plans to offer more affordable / available parts that BMW has not been willing to produce or market to a wider (read: mere mortals like you and me) audience. I remember shipping about 80 of those kits when they were $179.00 and door seals when they were a frightful $69(!!!)  each. I will do my very best for my 02 people. You are truly my tribe. 

Talk about full circle (yes, I noticed your tee shirt)!

I purchased lots of parts from Maximillian when I first bought my tii in 2006, so I didn't correspond with you.  

Cheers to another round of nerdy parts deciphering and decoding.

Jim

• Like 1

(edited)

Very nice Paul, very few get to have work/carrer doing something they love (and have it work out financially).  Sounds like a home run to me. Honestly, has been a long time since I have purchased from them, though I will say I used to use their parts look up regularly when trying to track down that widget.  Good luck!

Edited by markmac
  • Like 1

Congratulations Paul on your next new chapter. It is pretty cool to see how excited you are in your "New/Old" (or should we say "RestoMod") job. 

Looking forward to all the upcoming, huge, massive discounts that will be offered to fellow FAQ friends and family...?

It is awesome to see you back, kicking ass and taking names. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

(edited)

Congrats Paul!  It's been a long time since I bought anything from Maximillian, but they used to be my "go to" source for hard to obtain oem parts. They fell off the radar for awhile, and it's good to see them re-entering the enthusiast/devotee market with your assistance.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

Excited for things to come, congratulations Paul!   

• Like 1

Just noticed the Circle Tire T-shirt you're wearing!  i still have several.  Michel used to send one with every order, and back in the day (early-mid 70s) I bought my parts mail order from him because our local dealer was such a XXXX (fill in your word of choice).  

Glad to hear you're back with Max.  I remember when he first got into importing NLA 2002 stuff; he bailed me out many times. 

Now, for us pre-1971 '02s--the base gasket for the "swan neck" outside mirrors.  They don't even have a part number in the parts book, but there's a real pent-up demand for 'em...

Coming to Mid America this year?  How about Vintage?

mike

• Like 1

Congrats, Paul, on the move for the New Year. I remember back in the early to mid 90’s ordering lots of hard to find parts for Max’ when I worked at a shop fixing and restoring these fun cars. Looking forward to new and improved business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mike said:

Coming to Mid America this year?  How about Vintage?

mike

I plan on attending MidAmerica AND The Vintage....and wherever else I can! Lots of driving ahead of me this year.....Yeeeehawwww!

Oh hell yes! Has it been over 20 years since I dealt with you on the phone at Max??? I swear it doesn't feel that long ago!

Good luck man!!

Bob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bob02 said:

Oh hell yes! Has it been over 20 years since I dealt with you on the phone at Max??? I swear it doesn't feel that long ago!

Good luck man!!

Bob

That's because we're both OLD now, Bob! :D

• Haha 1