jerry

? ID measurement for S14 crank in M10 front cover

9 posts / 269 viewsLast Reply

folks,  i did a search and only found passing mention of the machining requirements.  there were a couple links presented but i think they expired.  anyhow, i will be loosing my access to a fabulous machine shop as my company is closing my facility and leaving California.  I'm staying put and will probably have more time to devote to the long sleeping 02 projects i have as i transition to a new phase in life as i get nearer to retirement age; i'm done with long commutes. 

it occurred to me that i should prepare one of my spare front covers for the S14 crank i have on hand.  i have the S14 pulley as well so i think the best option is to leave the crank alone and modify the aluminum cover.

Question: does anyone know  the front seal diameter i need to enlarge the cover to?  i do not have an M3 front seal available and do not know the clearance fit.  thanks in advance. 

btw, my current distraction is a 1960 alfa romeo guilietta spider veloce . 

Hi nominal OD is 60
Tolerance according to SKF is something between G7 and R7, according to simrit is F8 (for very thin flimsy stuff) to H8 but ususally I'd aim for H8 = 60.000 - 60.046

BMW lists these as NLA but it is a basically a standard Part.

Simrit:

1.thumb.jpg.ba1128fa0e268e0b8c82c467a0e7927e.jpg

SKF

h = 0,01 d2

189_0504a_tcm_12-4548.gif

• Like 2

To be on the safe side just buy a new crank seal and send it to them with the cover. If you don't they'll only cost 10x more when you need one anyway!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NickVyse said:

To be on the safe side just buy a new crank seal and send it to them with the cover

What happen if the seal sent is a bit off spec?  The next seal might fit differently.  Seems better to make the cut per the specs for the seal size.

Just as a thought, what are the chances that you would be building an S14 someday and would need a crank for it? Pretty unlikely by the sound of it. What are the chances that you would want to put an S14 crank in an M10 block? Sounds pretty likely. You're in a machine shop. Just cut the crank nose down to M10 spec and use it as you intend to, or send it to a shop that can. Life is too short to save it for something that probably won't happen.

The OP said he has a S14 (about $470 new) pulley/dampener to use.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Furry Camel said:

Just as a thought, what are the chances that you would be building an S14 someday and would need a crank for it? Pretty unlikely by the sound of it. What are the chances that you would want to put an S14 crank in an M10 block? Sounds pretty likely. You're in a machine shop. Just cut the crank nose down to M10 spec and use it as you intend to, or send it to a shop that can. Life is too short to save it for something that probably won't happen.

M10 Front covers are a 'dime a dozen', or so they were when i was collecting parts....  S14 cranks, not so much.  i'm not intending to piece together an entire S14 engine, just a stroker on an M10.  i can't remember if i have a set of S14 conrods, though.  i think i do...  it looks like i'll be aiming for a 60mm opening.  another thought about keeping the damper from the S14 pulley is that perhaps it was a benefit for the longer throw of the rods. 

The S14 M10 stroker motors are torque monsters and unbelievable fun.