• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Smog Test

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was excited when California's smog exemption program included 1975 vehicles starting Jan. 04. I have a '75 2002 that is registered out of state and is running webbers and a header that I am hoping to register in California now that I live here. However, when I went to the DMV to do the reg. change the computer, and the supervisor, told my clerk that the exempt law only applies to in-state vehicles and when you bring one in from out of state 1975 still needs a smog check! Is this really true? I can find no resource that spells out the law pertaining to this situation. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out more information and possible challenge this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest Anonymous

Ever since the 70's California has had it's own smog requirements above and beyond most everyone. Why else would you see a '49 state car, who do you think the 50th state was??? Good luck man.

------------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

I think that is not true. I have a '75 that was not smoggable in California, I brought into the state (from Maryland) in 2001 and parked it for three years. The last registration and tag I had was Maryland.

In February, I took the paperwork (not the car) to the local dmv and got a temporary permit, which allowed me to drive it (get insurance). I had to pay all the money at that time.

Later, I brought it back to dmv for a vin check (the chp could do this also). When I brought the car in, they looked all over for vin numbers and mileage, but didn't look at smog stuff. After that they gave me the license plate.

Here's the crap. DMV charged me $289 for the registration. They said I had to have obtained a non-use license for the car within 21 days of the time I originally brought it into the state (in 2001); or I had to have trucked it in -- go figure. Either way, they gouged me the maximum amount. When they were looking for vin numbers, they were trying to figure a way to increase the value of the car so they could raise the registration.

I think the dmv people are pretty uninformed about all of this. I suggest you do what I did. Take the paperwork up without the car (go to a different office if possible). Act real polite; say yessir and yesmam alot, and bend over when they tell you to.

good luck.

Guest Anonymous

If they ask if the car has been driven on CA roads say no. Tell them that it was shipped across the country and unloaded onto private property. Tell them that you heard ahead of time that the car couldn't touch CA roadways, so you were careful not to. Seriously! I just registered a car that was inoperable, and the first thing they asked me was weather the car was towed on a flatbed truck and the wheels didn't touch the roadway. On course I didn't put the wheels on the gound! ;-)

It sounds ridiculous, and it is, but they have to go by the rules written in their guidelines.

The smog issue may take some persistance on your part.

Dan

Dan

Guest Anonymous

swapnshow_026-473x204.jpg

URL: http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/BMW.html

having just registered a trailer that was last registered in 1984 (and was no longer on DMV records). It took me 3 trips to the DMV to get it done. Why? Well, if they have 15 different people working windows, you'll get 15 different interpretations of the law. The first person says you need one more thing, then you come back and another person tells you that you need something else, etc, etc, etc (imagine Yule Brenner here).

Anyway, I would keep going back until you either get the results you wanted or you get the same answer from 3 different people.

Guest Anonymous

My wife's e30 was a 'California' car as well. That and who knows how many other makes/models.

-----------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

The state inspections are usually more intense and have higher standards than the Federal ones. Many states just use the National standards, CA keeps moving the bar higher.

The 49 state car. Legal in every state in the union, just TRY to bring it to California.

Guest Anonymous

California Vehicle Code (Pollution Control Device: Certificate or Statement), Sub-section a (4000.1.a) it is required upon initial registration in the state. 4000.1.d.7 is the section regarding 30 year old vehicles being exempt. You will have to smog check it once, then you are exempt for future renewals. Look up the codes at the Cal DMV website.

Guest Anonymous

one trip. See Im a paying customer at AAA, so they are there to help me with no attitude. They always lookout for there members. One time a friend was getting the dmv run around and I told him about AAA, he went became a member and 20 minutes later all his dmv problems were solved. AAA can do 99% of all the dmv stuff with a nice smile. Best 72.00 I spend every year.

Guest Anonymous

BTW, not only is Auto Club of So CAlif a great place to do reg. work (fast and curtious) but if you upgrade your membership to "Plus" for an extra, your towing benefits go from 7 miles to 100 miles for up to 4 tows a year. Driving vintage cars is great, but ya never know........ It's a great safeguard in case you need to get home or to the repair shop of your choice.

Guest Anonymous

Yes -- AAA is great for DMV tasks, towing, maps, etc.

If you call them to tow a car that is not currently registered, you will need a 'One-Day Towing Permit', which you can get from the DMV. Doesn't matter whether the tow truck has a cradle or a flatbed; CSAA policy requires valid registration or a one-day permit. Save yourself a hassle by getting the permit in advance.