• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A word of caution to those using SLA batteries under the bac

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

seat.jpg

please pay attention to the placement of the battery underneath the springs on the back seat assembly, or make certain your terminals are covered. as it turns out, the terminals on the Hawker's 13 (and 16, i believe) genesis model battery are the same distance apart as the coils on the underside of the bottom part of the back seat, i had a slightly portly kid sit down hard over the battery and two springs touched each terminal and arced. the underside of the seat is burned alright, the kid moved over to the other side of the seat and the next morning i discovered the problem, seeing the first 14 or so inches of my e30 battery cable thoroughly fried.

thankfully that was the extent of the damage - i was at some kids appt. near UC Irvine and he didnt even own a wrench, i ended up cutting the damaged battery cable with a kitchen knife and securing a cheapie terminal from pep boys so i was able to get home.

so yeah, lesson learned, keep those terminals covered or be very careful of battery placement, i imagine the damage coulda been much more extensive. (still gotta go get 'nother battery cable though =P

Guest Anonymous

Hi:

I don't quite visualize the scenario, but I know that you can buy rubber battery terminal covers ($1-2 each)for top terminal batteries. I have seen them in red and black plastic rubber. They slide over the cable, although they might fit on at the terminal end if you cut/slit them. I have never seen one for a side terminal application, if anyone converted their BMW to side terminals (GM type).As I recall. VW/International (#42?)type batteries had a plastic flap over the positive terminal for just this situation, since they are often positioned under the back seat. Heat shrink tubing and a self vulcanizing rubber/cloth tape are also out there, as is a bottle of liquid electrical sealer - comes with a brush, in multi colors, about $5.I suppose you can't be too careful. /s/ John England in Indy BMWCCA #0892.

Guest Anonymous

the kid scooted over to the other side of the seat. . . but by that point the cab smelled of that unmistakeable smell, and we werent going anywhere in my car

Guest Anonymous

Should have a 250 amp fuse fitted, avalible at any marine store for about 25 bucks. By all means cover the terminals but a short anywhere in the main line will cause a fire.

Guest Anonymous

underseatbatt91.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

the floor - it would have to be a pretty fat passenger to get the springs to touch with them like that. A fuse is a good idea, but would not help in the case of a direct terminal short so insulation and prevention are the name of the game. The floor is actually sort of electrically insulated by the sound insulation so it is not as bad as it would first seem to have the terminals down.

regards,

Zenon