TripE46

1502 Finally Arrived

5 posts / 320 viewsLast Reply

It took almost two months but it's finally here! Everything went smoothly except for the US customs broker that I used, just awful. Anyway, I don't know why but I'm having a real tough time finding out which is the proper rear license plate bracket to get. Is it the standard one that works for 90% of BMW's? Will it be different because the car is from Europe? 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2853.thumb.jpg.114a8001af650a95c361c652a5a0891d.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2851.thumb.jpg.3d919beed95116e96622e30bd5d3db98.jpg155669936_CjPECztTfaGEdvl9KVIg_thumb_285f.thumb.jpg.f8146196d5a47f5cc05f79aedf5818b0.jpg

• Like 4

Pick up a used tag bracket (as used on the USA 74-76 cars) and chop the ears off it, if you don't want to mess with the hard to find US type tag lights. . I saw one for sale for $150 recently, but these should be a $30-40 part. Don't pay more. I actually made my own with some flat steel and a welder - as the early round light cars really lacked an elegant solution for this. The factory tag brackets of US cars are a kluge at best...and not well thought out. Since your car was never drilled for US stuff, hopefully those holes in the rear panel will line up with the aforementioned US 74-76 bracket holes. If not...sadness and a drill await you. 

IMG_5144.JPG

Isn’t there a Mercedes part that IE sells that does the job?