Danz3

Speedometer seal replacement

15 posts / 715 viewsLast Reply

I’m tackling leaks in the transmission over the winter and one leak is at the speedometer drive in the transmission. I removed the cable, connector assembly and drive. How do you replace the seal? It appears to be inside the connector assembly.

(edited)

Pull out the inner assembly. The o-ring and shaft seal are replaceable. Parts 11 and 9 on the diagram on RealOem

Diagram.jpg

Edited by rms_sandiego
  • Like 1

I have the new seal but it appears to fit between parts 10 and 12 in the diagram. How are they separated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll have to use Vise Grips and pliers to twist and pull the seal from the bushing.  This can be very difficult.  If the speedometer gear does NOT easily fall out of the transmission housing, then the bushing/O-ring/seal may be in good condition.

If the speedometer gear/bushing assembly drops out when you loosen the 8mm (socket size) retaining bolt, then the bushing/seal/O-ring should be replaced.  That is what happened to my 73tii when I bought it in 2006.

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_1060.JPG

So they do separate? I’ll give it a try but don’t want to damage the parts. The assembly didn’t fall out but required some work to loosen. Once out it appears that someone used Teflon tape in an attempt to “improve” the o ring seal.

Just now, Danz3 said:

So they do separate? I’ll give it a try but don’t want to damage the parts. The assembly didn’t fall out but required some work to loosen. Once out it appears that someone used Teflon tape in an attempt to “improve” the o ring seal.

I've only been successful removing the seal from the bushing once.  I almost destroyed the pieces getting them apart.  Once you have them apart, then you have to drive out the old seal and press the new on into place. 

I believe the service manual notes that if the speedometer drive fit into the bushing assembly is loose (sloppy) then you should replace the seal.  If it grabs and holds the drive then it should be OK.

If the bushing itself is loose in the transmission housing, then it should be replaced.

• Like 1

A wee bit pricey at $40 + shipping, but I was on track to mangle mine when I replaced and ended up just ordering 9-12 for a complete new setup. Blunt could order these parts or the shot below is from Maximillian BMW

09 O-ring 07119904964 14,3X2,4X19,1 1     $3.23 no charge  
10 ADAPTOR 23121490117 19MM 1     $13.02 no charge  
11 Shaft seal 23121490192 8X14X6 1     $11.71 no charge  
12 Bush 23121630176   1     $12.10 no charge  

Good with the speedometer seals but now have a question about the selector shaft seal.  What is the orientation of the seal?  Probably a dumb question but I want to do this once.  My thought is the seal should be on the oil side.

Not sure how much this helps but right after I installed mine

D1773785-0AF4-4A57-ABAD-C863848F7ACD.thumb.png.4d3ad23a6fe93ae84224acd66b4e3489.png

(edited)

Perhaps a dumb question, but I noticed my speedo cable leaking as well. 

Is disassembly a simple matter of loosening the retaining bolt and pulling the assembly? Do I need to drain anything? Should it just pull out? 

The blue book on here wasn't much use.

Edited by silasmoon

1 hour ago, silasmoon said:

Perhaps a dumb question, but I noticed my speedo cable leaking as well. 

Is disassembly a simple matter of loosening the retaining bolt and pulling the assembly? Do I need to drain anything? Should it just pull out? 

The blue book on here wasn't much use.

Unless the tranny was overfilled, you should  see very little fluid draining out the tranny when you pull the speedometer cable and drive out of the housing.

if the entire gear comes out with the cable like my old picture posted above, then the bushing and seal are worn.

Checked again today. The cable only pulled out of the fitting. Just the tip, nothing else, and trying to grab the fitting it didn't budge from the transmission itself. 

A shop just swapped the tranny and I had a little puddle after 300 miles and it sitting for a week. Curious if a bit of weeping is common?

I cleaned the cable and fitting and tightened it back up. 

Did you remove the bolt entirely when trying to remove the drive?