TVeye

Motor Alignment?

7 posts / 288 viewsLast Reply

I have the IE alum radiator in my 69 1600-2 with a '72 2.0 M10.

The standard red plastic fan has touched the face of the radiator before but, I assumed

it was from install since it wasn't getting worse and there was visible clearance.

Seems like now, with no changes, it IS getting worse but only a slight graze now and then.

Is my motor crooked in the sub frame or do I just need a new fan blade?

The motor mounts seem like they were changed about 10 years ago or less

and the fan blade looks original.

Mike_

Perfect fitment assumes that the front of your car a straight and never tweaked in an accident. 

Did you set the stop stop on the right hand engine mount to a maximum of 3mm clearance?

The stop is gone.

It has been hit as the drivers (left) front fender has been replaced at some point.

Rub is on the right side of the Rad.

2 minutes ago, TVeye said:

The stop is gone.

It has been hit as the drivers (left) front fender has been replaced at some point.

Rub is on the right side of the Rad.

If you have no stop then the engine will move forward under hard braking. This will only get worse as the mounts soften with age. I would get (or make) a stop. 

• Like 1

That makes sense. Recently beaded in rear shoes.

(edited)
12 hours ago, BarneyT said:

Are you sure the blade is not on backwards? The offset is different...

This is a good point, but doubt the fan belt can be installed if this is the case.  This happened to me.

IMO, older fans are more rigid than the new ones which flex more as the engine revs higher and heats up.

Use something like a small spray can cap to measure the distance between the tips of the fan blades to the radiator core (compare top to bottom).  If your transmission mount is old/mushy then this could be an issue, reducing the clearance of the fan at the bottom.

Edit:  Just thought about this - try using a tire tread depth gauge to measure the clearance.  It might work.

If the nose of the car has been damaged and/or replaced, the clearance between the radiator and fan could be smaller than normal. 

If you have installed a newer radiator (it doesn't matter which one), then the mounting brackets attached to the core could have been incorrectly positioned, moving the core away from the nose.  A gap will be noticed if this is the case.

Edited by jgerock