• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S14 Operating Temperature Spike at Idle

02tom

The electric fan switch is located in the radiator I believe - I don't think there's room for the stock M3 t-stat and hose loop in that area with the AC compressor.  

The temperature spikes upon slowing down and waiting at a stoplight - so about 2 minutes or under?

Oil cooler is by the alternator, so there may still be a way to do a bigger fan; sounds like I don't have a choice. Im going to look at some SPAL fans. I really appreciate all the input.930d35ffd5f09533328bcdc63af79483.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, 02tom said:

I'll have to look again at the small hose that comes off the head, or have help identifying where it should be.  I think that passage may be blocked at this point?

Here's a pic of that hose.  On my setup the hose makes a "U" bend, one end connects to the radiator inlet hose, and the other comes off the head at the yellow arrow.

file1891.jpg

• Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

As long as hoses are on display, here is my vent installed with a continuous rising slope to the radiator just lide it slopes in the real live E30 M3 in a continuous rise to its head tank.

And a picture of my temperature sensor that is mounted in the M3 thermostat housing and is a resistance element because my fan operates in variable speed depending on the radiator outlet temperature.

CR Radiator Insalled 02.JPG

Sensor Coolant Radiator out 02.JPG

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

18 hours ago, jimk said:

As long as hoses are on display, here is my vent installed with a continuous rising slope to the radiator just lide it slopes in the real live E30 M3 in a continuous rise to its head tank.

And a picture of my temperature sensor that is mounted in the M3 thermostat housing and is a resistance element because my fan operates in variable speed depending on the radiator outlet temperature.

I like both of these ideas.  I pretty much put things together by the book and there wasn't time to ask many questions during the process.

On a separate note, the top of the radiator is reading 104C and the bottom - from a distance - is reading 77C about the time the fan kicks in.  The temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator isn't the best place for it in this case, and the thermostat needs further looking into.  First guess after buying the temp gun is that the thermostat that is installed is not working and needs to be removed and tested.  And while I'm at it, I guess I should test the M3 thermostat and install it.

Just something to add, maybe @jimk can verify for us...  I remember reading that the s14 water temp sender / sensor was calibrated to a different range than the m10 sensor, thus if you use the m10 gauge with the s14 sensor it gives weird readings.  Simple answer was to install the m10 sensor to use with the m10 gauge and all is good.  That's what I read anyway...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Your small hoses loop (to upper rad hose) gets higher than your radiator (air space). So i'd change that first. Then i would see if i could rise the rad to be sure it is systems highest point.

^ oh and Dave is right

Edited by tzei

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

1 hour ago, tzei said:

our small hoses loop (to upper rad hose) gets higher than your radiator (air space).

I have been vindicated!  Someone else thinks the head won't vent either.

I also can't figure out why the E21 fitting in the hose to the radiator is mounted so low and not up near radiator nozzle with the small side tap to the side so air enters easier.  Get some radiator hoses that let the fitting be placed in a better location.

But on another possible thingy.  Is the S14 water pump being used?  Some install an M10 pump. It's impeller diameter is smaller and will not develop as much pressure head.  Had to be a cooling reason BMW selected a bigger pump (besides the S14 pump has more robust bearings).

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.