• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a set of aluminium strips

shanebm

If they were not sanded before they were painted, acetone would strip that paint in a jiffy. Then...you could figure out whether the condition of the trim — considering dents and scratches — meets your needs.

The belt line trim generally remains available directly from BMW, but is fairly expensive. In addition, because BMW produces it in periodic batches, based on outstanding wait lists, not every piece is available continuously. So you’re timing and patience may be a factor!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Remove and send to Speedway Metal Refinishing in Santa Ana. Strip paint and anodization then have it ceramic coated.

http://www.speedwaypolishing.com

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

10 hours ago, Conserv said:

If they were not sanded before they were painted, acetone would strip that paint in a jiffy. Then...you could figure out whether the condition of the trim — considering dents and scratches — meets your needs.

The belt line trim generally remains available directly from BMW, but is fairly expensive. In addition, because BMW produces it in periodic batches, based on outstanding wait lists, not every piece is available continuously. So you’re timing and patience may be a factor!

Regards,

Steve

I found that the trims were wrapped by a black adhesive tape, not a paint. However, it's very difficult to remove such tape as it's very sticky. I'll try to remove by some chemicals.

10 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Remove and send to Speedway Metal Refinishing in Santa Ana. Strip paint and anodization then have it ceramic coated.

http://www.speedwaypolishing.com

It's interesting but it's very far from me and the delivery of all trims would be very costly. 

thanks for this good info.

Just now, shanebm said:

It's interesting but it's very far from me and the delivery of all trims would be very costly. 

thanks for this good info.

Just saw your location is half the world away.

• Haha 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Go to RealOEM.com, as following:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2215-USA-04-1976-114-BMW-2002&diagId=51_3332

Make a list of the components of the belt line trim (items 1 through 7 in the RealOEM schematic). I believe there are 14 pieces, including the 4 “joint covers” (“Cups” in the schematic). This trim fits 1966 through 1976 ‘02’s. Take that list to a local BMW dealer and see what you can actually order. None of these items will be in dealer stock, unless you are very, very lucky!

Here in the States, we’d likely just send an email to someone such as Steve Peterson of Blunttech, and he’d do the legwork. But there’s no shipping charge when you buy the items through a dealer, and you can, on the spot, turn down any items with (shipping) damage. As I mentioned, I believe that not all pieces are currently available: they come and go as batches are produced, based on demand.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, shanebm said:

I found that the trims were wrapped by a black adhesive tape, not a paint. However, it's very difficult to remove such tape as it's very sticky. I'll try to remove by some chemicals.

I’d still use acetone to remove the residual glue, after removing the tape.

Regards,

Steve

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Go to RealOEM.com, as following:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2215-USA-04-1976-114-BMW-2002&diagId=51_3332

Make a list of the components of the belt line trim (items 1 through 7 in the RealOEM schematic). I believe there are 14 pieces, including the 4 “joint covers” (“Cups” in the schematic). This trim fits 1966 through 1976 ‘02’s. Take that list to a local BMW dealer and see what you can actually order. None of these items will be in dealer stock, unless you are very, very lucky!

Here in the States, we’d likely just send an email to someone such as Steve Peterson of Blunttech, and he’d do the legwork. But there’s no shipping charge when you buy the items through a dealer, and you can, on the spot, turn down any items with (shipping) damage. As I mentioned, I believe that not all pieces are currently available: they come and go as batches are produced, based on demand.

Regards,

Steve

your info is useful. however, I'm curious to know whether there is any one can do it new? Apart from BMW, I heard that it's not easy to get them in a complete set and its price increase rapidly. It seems to me that only BMW dealer is the only hope for the originals only. no new repo in the market?

The attached photo are my trim under the adhesive tape. it seems not easy to make it in good shape.

IMG_0705.JPG