Seth Horwitz

ORIGINAL paint request. Show me your best.

32 posts / 1381 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

What's the best looking paint you've seen on a '76? I found a car that looks great, shockingly so, and the owner believes it to be original paint. (There's some surface rust by the window trim on the driver's door.) The story is plausible (with the car indoors for long periods on end with the prior owner), and the current owner does enough body work where he'd be able to spot paintwork (I'd think). I can see paintwork on a car, so I'm not worried about getting stuck with something, but I'd be unpleased if I took a nine hour drive to spot it myself. 

Edit: This car indicates 99K miles, claimed not to have turned over, yet. 

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

Edited by Seth Horwitz
Added Milage

Is that a metallic?

It would have been resprayed early on due to failure of the clear coat of it is. 

• Like 1

I think it's original Fjord. Apparently those shots are immediately after a wash (I asked, because an interior shot looked odd), so I don't know if something could be making it look shinier than normal. 

12 minutes ago, d.hitchcock said:

Oh man, you should see this early US-import '67 1600 that belongs to my shopmate. Original paint on this two-owner car.

Wow. How many miles?

Aye ... I don't want to speak out of turn or anything since the owner has been a wonderful mentor and friend to me, but that's Stella.

3 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

Oh man, you should see this early US-import '67 1600 that belongs to my shopmate. Original paint on this two-owner car.

67bimmer.jpg

Is that Meg's car?

• Like 2

Original fjord / metallic 2002 paint will almost ALWAYS look like these photos below. I have serious doubts that the car in the original post has original paint, though it looks very good from here. Clearcoats on 1970s metallics almost ALWAYS failed.

Photos of never hit, never painted, **documented** 105,00 mile  survivor shown here:

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5457.JPG

IMG_8290.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

And more "never hit, never painted" metallic paint from another 73 tii survivor. Note dull appearance due to micro-scratches in the clear coat. Underhood paint cleaned and polished to show variation in sun damaged vs "covered in Ziebart" paint. Turkis metallic. Car has been off the road since 1981(!) and has about 107,000 documented miles.

IMG_6373.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG

IMG_6267.JPG

IMG_6370.JPG

• Like 2

(edited)
19 hours ago, Seth Horwitz said:

What's the best looking paint you've seen on a '76? I found a car that looks great, shockingly so, and the owner believes it to be original paint. (There's some surface rust by the window trim on the driver's door.) The story is plausible (with the car indoors for long periods on end with the prior owner), and the current owner does enough body work where he'd be able to spot paintwork (I'd think). I can see paintwork on a car, so I'm not worried about getting stuck with something, but I'd be unpleased if I took a nine hour drive to spot it myself. 

Edit: This car indicates 99K miles, claimed not to have turned over, yet. 

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

Seth,

BMW had a disastrous history with metallic paints in the 1960’s-1970’s. I’m comfortable saying that no original metallic-painted cars have survived with intact paint. Period.

BMW started repainting these cars in the ‘60’s and arrived at a “warranty policy” that consisted of paying for partial or complete re-painting of these cars — depending on the extent of the paint failure — provided the failure began within 36 months of delivery. This was supposed to capture most of the failing paint. Unfortunately, if your car was garaged, and carefully protected from the sun and elements, it took longer than 36 months before the paint’s breakdown began, but not much longer!

A friend’s father purchased a new Antrazitgrau metallic ‘76 shortly before I purchased my Polaris metallic. He did not garage his and, right on schedule, the paint began to fail about two years in. BMW re-painted his car from the belt trim upwards. At least in our area, southeast Pennsylvania, the dealers typically used DuPont Imron, because Glasurit was not yet able to produce a metallic paint that could survive. This was in 1978. The upward-facing surfaces — deck lid, roof, and hood — failed first. Some areas, particularly luggage compartments, door jambs, and lower body panels did not fail, or took much longer to fail.

My ‘76 was garaged from new. The paint began to fail about four years in. BMW said they could not provide any relief for me because the failure was outside the 36-month window. This pissed me off royally and the next BMW I purchased was in 2010. BMW, unfortunately, did not realize that I was engaged in a 34-year boycott on account of the metallic paint...?

Below are some photos of original metallic paint, ca. 2015, for my ‘02 that has been garaged since new.

So, no, that is not original Fjord metallic on the subject car.

If you really want original paint, look to Chamonix, Sahara, Malaga, etc., the non-metallic colors. But even there, the number of original-paint cars is far smaller than the number of cars claiming to have original paint!

Regards,

Steve

8A581DF3-F50B-433C-8D85-7591DE9D0F68.jpeg

B4DEBDEF-59B3-4ADF-8660-7FEE220572E2.jpeg

F65DBEC4-E323-4442-A596-E8C2ACCF2C12.jpeg

A5443D26-C847-416A-A4AC-9E277099F774.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1