Scottjeffrey

Feeling stupid and stumped. Advice, please?

6 posts / 398 viewsLast Reply

I was installing my AC Hobie bracket and to make a long story short, with with two of the three motor mount bots removed (I removed the second top one to see if it would fit the missing front one which the ac bracket shares, the engine sank down so now there is no way to align things. I figure I need to jack the engine up - particularly ist right i.e. passenger side. How can I safely do this. I can't use the oil pan as I feel sure it will buckle-dent under the pressure. Any good advice guys? As can happen my 'quick and easy' Sunday fun has turned to a much bigger challenge. I do not have a hoist to lift from above. Thanks in advance for your time, knowledge and effort.

Scott 

Couple of 2x4s to spread the load on the oil pan as much as you can, jack it up carefully, and go.

• Thanks 1

Yes, Andre, I just used some hardwood flooring and I think I have it lined up! Thankyou!!!  Off to hardware store to get the original missing bolt . Same size as motor mounts other bolt I ha removed which led to the engine's sinking. Maybe things are gonna work out now!

Scott

Depending where the car is, you might use the engine lifting eyes to pull the engine up....if you have some strong above the car to support the engine using a rope/chain... You don't need to support the whole car, just lift enough to reinsert those bolts.

• Thanks 1

Pro Tip: I **NEVER** loosen the bracket off the side of the engine block without also loosening the bracket from the stud of the lower rubber mount. 

When re-assembling (or installing an engine, etc) it's 1000 times easier to align the mount bracket on the block and tighten the bolts down and THEN lower / align the engine on to the stud of the rubber mount. You can even loosen the lower bolts of the rubber mount to allow more wiggle room - this avoids the whole nightmare of aligning the 17mm / M10 horizontal bracket to block bolts, while things are cinched down to the rubber mount. Follow manufacturer's instructions about placement of the lower "limiting bracket" under the rubber mount, too. It'll save your radiator! I leave about 1-2mm between rubber mount and front nose of "J" shaped bracket.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully everything is in place. Though now Paul has me worried about my radiator, lol. Thanks guys! "Our name is Legion, for we are many"

• Like 1