Simeon

Trunk mounted air conditioning planning

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

42 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Just thinking (I'm recovering from back surgery so I can't look at my car right now) that the farther forward your air returns will be from the cold air outlet the better the system to work that being said what if you used the rocker panel box for 2/3 of your air return system with lovers as a air inlet right up by the firewall and maybe 1 small one in the rear seat kick panel to make a 4x2 total for the system. There a couple of small drains in the rockers you could seal with body dum-dum at least in the summer I don't know how much rain you get there in the winter but you could remove the putty in the winter to restore the drains. Anyway you would be providing the air at the top of one end and returning it at the bottom of the other end that shoukd give you good circulation.

I guess if you are circulating dry refrigerated air through your rockers, it probably doesn’t matter if the are blocked to the outside. I will have a think about that. 

Can someone in the states do me do me a favour please and take a look at this eBay ad?  The automatic shipping quote algorithm has this down as $213 USD for shipping to me in Australia - quite a lot for a $90 tool! If you can let me know how much the shipping in the states looks like to you, I will get it shipped to a forwarder. I asked the seller to give me a quote but have had no response. Something tells me that it isn’t actually coming from Kentucky and would be drop shipped from China. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153105826907

The ad tells me it's coming from China though there is a mention of Kentucky also. A hundred bucks shipping is shown. 

Cheers,

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

The ad tells me it's coming from China though there is a mention of Kentucky also. A hundred bucks shipping is shown. 

Cheers,

Wow, even $100 seems steep, though the crimper is at least $100 less than any others I have seen. I will mull that over. 

Go find one to borrow :) 

Or measure carefully and take your hoses to a crimper -- which I did, which is the reason my hoses are too long. 

But in hindsight this does allow one to pull the (front) evaporator to the side to... (again, argh) pull the heater box again without loosening hoses....

Yeah, I am looking at options for crimping hoses locally. My wife would be pleased if I didn’t buy another ‘single use’ tool. On the subject of leaving slack in the hoses, I have been warned to make sure there is some slack in the hoses at the compressor so that it can be unbolted from the engine and put to one side if the engine needs to be pulled. 

Hey, question for AC abled folks: I have a great line on a new Sanden clone compressor but it has flare fittings.  Obviously, since I am making my own hoses, I can fit whatever fittings I want on the end but what’s the disadvantage of flare fittings and would you then pay, say, $100 to eradicate them?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282742007718

one thing I can think of is the hose between the compressor and evaporator is likely to be long in my application and therefore if I go flare fittings now, that means I am stuck with them to a certain extent if I then need to change the compressor. Flare adaptors don’t get a great write up in @thehackmechanic‘s book.

Edited by Simeon

Gas tight seals are more difficult to achieve with flares...but once sealed they are bombproof...whereas O rings seal more easily but can degrade in service on a ~10yr timeframe. The one area where I would definitely want o rings is the compressor as that's what you might want to disconnect to work on the engine etc... O rings re-seal better than flares and/or the Oring is easily replaced on the existing crimped fitting.

• Like 1

Simeon, there's really very little reason to use flare fittings on a compressor these days. O-ring fittings seal better. Look on eBay and you can find Sanden 508 clones with o-ring fittings for the same price or less than the ones with flares. 

• Thanks 1