Sahara

Spark plug wires/terminals relatively loose, is it normal?

4 posts / 250 viewsLast Reply

Noticed that my spark plug wires, where they terminate and appear to "enter" the motor are easy to wiggle about. I can move them up and down and side to side with ease. The car isn't misfiring or otherwise down a cylinder or two, so obviously they're tight enough to do the job, but is this normal? Based on the Pelican parts article about spark plug replacement I take it they are friction fit at best, so I suppose it is, but it's bizarre to me to see such a critical component of engine operation so wiggly. 

The brown insulators fit onto the threaded part of the spark plug. When you remove or insert them, you will hear a clicking sound.

If you look in the end, you will see a brass terminal "hole" with a spring clip going across on a tangent. That spring clip is what fits between the threads of the spark plug holding the insulator on.

They wiggle!

It is not like the plug ends where the "knob" of the end of the plug is what connects.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

The brown insulators fit onto the threaded part of the spark plug. When you remove or insert them, you will hear a clicking sound.

If you look in the end, you will see a brass terminal "hole" with a spring clip going across on a tangent. That spring clip is what fits between the threads of the spark plug holding the insulator on.

They wiggle!

It is not like the plug ends where the "knob" of the end of the plug is what connects.

Very good. It does make sense that there would be some play in them, given that the motor in any car vibrates and can even shift slightly under various loads.