• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Auto - 2600 original miles!!

02Les

Would love to hear the story on that one. That car needs a real restoration to make it perfect. It'd be a shame to drive it, as much of a shame as that is. You'd think BMW would buy it, being an auto with so few miles. How many could there be?

I have a funny story about Porsche trying to buy a real old 911 with a thousand original miles on it. They (corporate) were jerking the customer around for so long that the dealer had his wife buy the car for around a hundred grand, to make it clean with the customer. Porsche did the same dance with him for six months at the agreed upon price, until he finally said "screw it" I'm keeping it. Porsche has spent the last decade trying to buy it from him, with the bid going up $50K each year. I see it at car shows now and then. 

3 minutes ago, Seth Horwitz said:

I have a funny story about Porsche...............................

Off topic sorta. Up the street from my place of car madness was a guy called the Porscheman. He has supposedly the worlds most original and lowest miles RSR worth an estimated 7 figures. It burned up in a fire about three years ago when a homeless person set fire to his shop in Sacramento. His health has suffered as a result.  

But what do I know

6 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

Off topic sorta. Up the street from my place of car madness was a guy called the Porscheman. He has supposedly the worlds most original and lowest miles RSR worth an estimated 7 figures. It burned up in a fire about three years ago when a homeless person set fire to his shop in Sacramento. His health has suffered as a result.  

Jeez. I hope he had insurance. That can't be cheap on a 7 figure car, if you aren't liquid, though. It's like how all of these game show winners (at least used to) had to sell the cars that they won because they couldn't afford the tax on them. 

7 hours ago, Seth Horwitz said:

Would love to hear the story on that one. That car needs a real restoration to make it perfect. It'd be a shame to drive it, as much of a shame as that is. You'd think BMW would buy it, being an auto with so few miles. How many could there be?...

Just to be clear, Les is — I’m quite certain — making fun of the seller’s ridiculous claim. This is not a car with 2,600 miles on it. This is a well-worn car whose five-digit odometer currently reads 2,600 miles, which means it has 102,600, 202,600, 302,600 miles or, very possibly, some unknown mileage, as either the speedometer has been swapped — they break regularly — or the speedometer cable has been broken — owners seem to drive them for decades without working speedometers.

The bad re-paint, recovered front seats (foam rubber, not horsehair pads), worn-off VIN plate, e30 alloys, well-worn 14” tires, suggest a car that has seen many miles, and not much love.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 minute ago, Conserv said:

Just to be clear, Les is — I’m fairly certain — making fun of the seller’s ridiculous claim. This is not a car with 2,600 miles on it. This is a car whose five-digit odometer currently reads 2,600 miles, which means it has 2,600, 102,600, 202,600, 302,600 miles or, very possibly, some unknown mileage as either the speedometer has been swapped — they break regularly — or the speedometer cable has been broken — owners seem to drive them for decades without working speedometers.

The bad re-paint, recovered front seats (foam rubber, not horsehair pads), worn-off VIN plate, suggest a car that has seen many miles.

Regards,

Steve

Gotcha. From the comment, it looked like this was a known car. I was just looking on my iPhone, and based on the price, and clean interior, it seemed possible. Too much rust for me, regardless of price. If the miles were real, I don’t want to spend another $50K+ on a car I won’t drive. With fake miles, I wouldn’t do that much bodywork on a daily driver. (Even if it were priced right.) 

• Like 1

2,600,00 miles, beat hard for 44 years and put away wet. Runs like a truck pulling a trailer. $18K includes truck & trailer, will not part, I know what I have. ?

• Haha 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

17 hours ago, Seth Horwitz said:

....... I was just looking on my iPhone, and based on the price,......

No offense to you sir, but here in lies the issue with many cars being bought and sold today. People are one, looking at tiny images (often intentionally omitting important info) which make cars appear better than they are and two, few people actually go see the car in-person. Compound this by the fact many folks just don't read/understand the descriptions. Trusting another's depiction and going on price only set's it up for disappointment.  So many a flipper dealer type know this fact and pray on the unknowing.  Thankfully we the self-anointed experts here on this forum do try and police this for some, but every year there is a new class of freshman buyers paying the inflated prices for lessor cars.  Mr T and Delia say it best when it comes to the separation of fools & money. 

Off my soap box.   

faq56b.jpg

7 year itch.jpg

But what do I know