Hien

Hope to crank her over soon.

39 posts / 3048 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

It's near the changeover from hollow cam to cam with spray bar, and in your picture showing the cam cover removed there's no spray bar but there is the spray bar holder between the two head bolts nearest the chain. I would pop the cam cover off and just double check you can see the oiling holes on the lobes of the cam. You might actually be able to see it oiling when ticking over with the oil filler cap removed.

Here's a pic of a head with the hollow cam - in the centre there is no threaded hole to bolt the spray to (and feed it with oil) and on the right you can just see one of the oiling holes on the cam lobe. Also note it doesn't have the thin metal spray bar holder between the head bolts on the right (like yours does)

If you're not oiling your cam you'll very quickly bugger it and the rocker arms and have to do a complete top end rebuild.

hollow-cam-head.thumb.jpg.6c3492ae35056c48fa2a7b583a8c35ae.jpg

Edited by NickVyse

Still not heard back from you Hein, here or on facebook, whether you have a hollow cam or a missing oil spray bar. Even though you're on the other side of the world and I don't know you it bugs me that your top end might not be getting oil! Judging by the number of running videos on facebook it's probably just fine, but you'd be crazy not to check.

Here's a pic of a crusty engine with the spray bar installed - as you can see your engine has the front (and possibly the back) metal holder that's clamped down by the head bolts, but no spray bar. Please take a look to double check you have the hollow self-oiling cam.

spacer.png

I just check, I'm missing that spray bar, where do I get one?, do you have part number?

On 5/18/2019 at 2:34 AM, NickVyse said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18fhollow-cam-head.thumb.jpg.6c3492ae35056c48fa2a7b583a8c35ae.jpg

1 hour ago, Hien said:

I just check, I'm missing that spray bar, where do I get one?, do you have part number?

@Hien see nick’s picture! See the small hole on the cam.(yellow circle) if your cam has it then you don’t need the oil sprayer. My 64 1800 didn’t have it and neither my old 65 1800ti. 

I should have a sprayer for you if you do need one. You’ll prolly have to order the crush washer etc for it! 

Thank Daniel, I pick up the oil spray bar from my buddy, was ready to do the mod. until I notice the hole in the cam..I got a lots to learn..Anyway thank for the offer.

(edited)

Wife, kid and honey do list, left over times is dedicate to Brown Turkey project... 3:00am is my quitting time.

Before photos

a3.jpg

at1.jpg

at2.jpg

at3.jpg

at4.jpg

at5.jpg

at6.jpg

at7.jpg

Edited by Hien

Beautiful work.  I love the image of the axle boot and spoon.  Did you use boiling water to soften the boot?

On 8/1/2019 at 9:40 AM, bimbill said:

Beautiful work.  I love the image of the axle boot and spoon.  Did you use boiling water to soften the boot?

Thank you! I did, the waterproof greasy help a lot. Just clean the underside and mount one half shaft tonight

c1.jpg

c2.jpg