• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many dollars do you think it took to get your 02' right?

Scottwattz

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

I just say I spend more on my cars than I do on alcohol and strange women. 

And my wife always knows where I am.

I say,,, "you're right honey, it is a lot of time to fix that.. maybe I will start to play pickup hockey at night with my friends, but I will be out 2-3 nights a week.... is that ok?"

Or "you're right, it is a pain that the car won't be on the road for a week.  Maybe I will buy myself a new (M3, Merc Black etc ...) only $1500 -2000 per month, on a 3-year lease" 

Both those usually result in a new perspective being set, and the issue is dropped. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Got my 02 (already very nicely sorted) at a fair price, and budgeted an initial additional half that to get it set to my personal liking. Once pleased, I've since spent an additional 20 years further refining/enhancing that liking... It's like seeking enlightenment.

My 02 zen recipe is a maintenance, mods, restoration and goodies gumbo, flavored to taste (I like spicy).  Repeated often.

So far it's the best smiles+miles per $ ever.  And when I'm done, I'll report back on that total... :D

Tom

• Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

The previous owner actually did me some favors like priming the rust spots and screwing up the timing and electrical system so it didn't run for two years. Now she runs pretty good. Currently rebuilding the weber carb and just put a pertronix onboard. I thought about going ahead and swapping motor/trans but I think I really fell in love with the m10. Resilient lil motor! Id love to see what she's got with a turbo strapped to it but i can't put the horse in front of the cart. Gotta get the body/ interior sound.

5 hours ago, chargin said:

Mine started as a badly painted non running disassembled project

FE08F697-3980-4260-B53A-DF130A82A4DB.thumb.jpeg.603fa98a3b7995cd680bca20281c747b.jpeg

added Gas and it Ran, added many $$$ for Tii build, 5 speed, brakes, Suspension and paint plus a few other things in the last 4 years 

573E7B62-48D1-4FF8-92F3-39FAB5421CF7.jpeg

And coincidently went went from a S4 daily driver to an S3 as can been seen in the backgrounds ?

this is basically the style i'm going for. Very nice chargin!

• Like 1

This February it will be 8 years that I found my 02. I was very lucky that it was dry and very complete with no rust except a little under one of the rear side windows.  It has been a journey like others have stated, and I hope I never finish it because I really look forward to wrenching on it every weekend. 

Paint has been by far the most I have spent on it, about 2K and it shows. I will have it painted again soon.

I really wanted a 5 speed and my M10 had a blown gasket, so being the cheap bastard I am, I bought an E30 from salvage auction and used it as a donor for the M42  and accessories, sold the M10 with tranny, parted out the rest of the E30, paid a guy $600 to help me install the swap, and came out even. 

Brakes, for example, I went to the boneyard and got  Volvo calipers, bought the e21 discs and hubs, and got new bearings and pads.  For the rear, new drums and shoes.  Paid a guy $250 to install and done. 

Point is, you do not need to spend a ton if you do it smart and one project at a time.  I usually spend a hundred or hundred fifty bucks or so a month and once I have it all together I tackle the job.  I know some times it needs to be done, but this is my hobby car and if it sits a month or so I'm not worried

So in 7 years at $150 per month I should have a little over 10k into it.  We all know it's significantly more than that, but if i was counting i probably would have stopped by now

By doing it a little at a time, the wallet does not feel it that much.  Hell, if I spent $4 in a Starbucks each day, it would be the same.  I'm lucky coffee is free at the office!

IMG_8494.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

Edited by tashakes
  • Like 3

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Rule # 1:Never add up your receipts, just know that you have spent a boatload of money on your 02 and enjoy it. 

Rule # 2: It's never finished.

G-Man

IMG_4402.jpg

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 5

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

8 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I say,,, "you're right honey, it is a lot of time to fix that.. maybe I will start to play pickup hockey at night with my friends, but I will be out 2-3 nights a week.... is that ok?"

Or "you're right, it is a pain that the car won't be on the road for a week.  Maybe I will buy myself a new (M3, Merc Black etc ...) only $1500 -2000 per month, on a 3-year lease" 

Both those usually result in a new perspective being set, and the issue is dropped. 

I threaten to get a motorcycle!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Q: How many dollars do I think it took me to get my '02 right?

Do you want the actual dollar amount, or how much I told my wife that I spent?

Either way, I can't answer the question, because #1, it'd make me sick, and #2, my wife would surely divorce me...

I can just hear my wife: "You spent HOW MUCH on WHAT?????"

-Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

I stopped counting a while ago, but I'd wager im in 18-20k total with the price of the car... 

10k car

~6k Motor/drivetrain

~1k Wheels/Tires

~2k Suspension/brakes/Hardware

~1.5k Interior/Stereo

~1.5k body/rust repair

And hundreds of personal hours in labor (other than machine work) because I'm a stubborn/frugal/inquisitive SOB who insists on doing as much as possible, myself.  

Still on the list is a 5-speed and refurbishment of the rear subframe + a LSD, then I'd consider the car pretty much completed. 

Unfortunately, I have decided to go another route, and either sell/trade the car to start a retro-electric conversion of another 02, Citroen DS, or something else. I unfortunately can only afford one project at a time. 

So, if Brunhilde gets converted i'm looking at another

~3.5k Electric Motor

~7k Batteries

~2.5k Misc. controllers and electronics..

~XXX for reinforced suspension components/driveline/Brakes to handle the extra weight/power/speed/torque that'll be on hand.

And if ya want photos-

https://www.jeffjuarezdesign.com/brunhilde-1/

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

I stopped counting a while ago, but I'd wager im in 18-20k total with the price of the car... 

10k car

~6k Motor/drivetrain

~1k Wheels/Tires

~2k Suspension/brakes/Hardware

~1.5k Interior/Stereo

~1.5k body/rust repair

And hundreds of personal hours in labor (other than machine work) because I'm a stubborn/frugal/inquisitive SOB who insists on doing as much as possible, myself.  

Still on the list is a 5-speed and refurbishment of the rear subframe + a LSD, then I'd consider the car pretty much completed. 

Unfortunately, I have decided to go another route, and either sell/trade the car to start a retro-electric conversion of another 02, Citroen DS, or something else. I unfortunately can only afford one project at a time. 

So, if Brunhilde gets converted i'm look at another

~3.5k Electric Motor

~7k Batteries

~2.5k Misc. controllers and electronics/batteries..

~XXX for reinforced suspension components/driveline/Brakes to handle the extra weight/power/speed/torque that'll be on hand.

And if ya want photos-

https://www.jeffjuarezdesign.com/brunhilde-1/

You do very nice work,beautiful .

• Like 2

I paid 5k for my 68 rust free project ( which is huge that there's no rust) Nothing in car but I have rebuilt sub frames with 3.90 LSD, Complete new up graded brake system. That's where I'm at now, Finally it's on the ground. Now I'm doing motor and 5spd conversion. My plan was to sink 5k into it plus puchase cost.  I'm doing everything myself except paint when I get around to that but I want to get it up and running first. I think I'm on track for that. If I was paying to have all the work done lord knows what that would cost

IMG_20181112_074552691.jpg

68 02 pic.jpg

• Like 1