• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many dollars do you think it took to get your 02' right?

Scottwattz

Mine started as a badly painted non running disassembled project

FE08F697-3980-4260-B53A-DF130A82A4DB.thumb.jpeg.603fa98a3b7995cd680bca20281c747b.jpeg

added Gas and it Ran, added many $$$ for Tii build, 5 speed, brakes, Suspension and paint plus a few other things in the last 4 years 

573E7B62-48D1-4FF8-92F3-39FAB5421CF7.jpeg

And coincidently went went from a S4 daily driver to an S3 as can been seen in the backgrounds ?

Edited by chargin
  • Like 4

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

7 minutes ago, ray_ said:

There's an end point?

Yes, when you do it all and then add A/C

and Never and I meen NEVER add it all up, thats never a good conversation with a spouse

did I make that clear? NEVER ?????

Edited by chargin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, chargin said:

and Never and I meen NEVER add it all up, thats never a good conversation with a spous

Or... you can endorse your wife leasing a new Mercedes every 3 years... your little 10k to 20k hobby becomes cheap and quaint.    

• Like 1

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

Doubling you initial projection is smart, but still very much on the low side when its all said and done. My advice would be to break projects up into different segments so you can narrow the scope, knock them out as the budget allows. Always do the job 100% the first time, you will absolutely spend more when you try to cut a corner or use low quality parts and end up having to re do something. That sounds like common sense... but it tends to happen so often.

I have been logging the restoration of my 2002tii to the penny and I will admit I did not estimate perfectly when starting out on this build. I can only drill down so specifically into my Excel spreadsheet, but if I for example just select trim, seals/ gaskets for the exterior I am coming in at $4,208.22. That's just for the parts sitting in boxes in my garage, and I bought many items below "market". This is for BNIB or NOS pieces with the goal of having a concours car I should mention so possibly not very helpful.

Its hard to see a 2002 as a budget classic car these days. 

• Like 4

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

34 minutes ago, chargin said:

Yes, when you do it all and then add A/C

and Never and I meen NEVER add it all up, thats never a good conversation with a spouse

did I make that clear? NEVER ?????

The M2 pre-dates the wife. She has some idea how much money is in it, and once told me I shouldn't sell it because that would be a net loss. 

Though these days that may not be the case, based on some BaT sales we've seen.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

23 minutes ago, oh2ryan said:

I can only drill down so specifically into my Excel spreadsheet, but if I for example just select trim, seals/ gaskets for the exterior I am coming in at $4,208.22. That's just for the parts sitting in boxes in my garage, 

You see, this is a prime example of why I don’t keep track.

i do re member each of my 2 drop rail chrome parts were $274.00 and all my seals were OEM after I tried a set of URO’s prior to paint (flushed $279 out the window)

??

Currently:

True Budget: About $30k. Mostly spent on rust eradication. Still in progress...

What I have told the wife: "About $2k tops"..

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Thank you all for the input. So cool to hear everyone’s $.02 

I’ve seen quite a few resto’s go down including my brothers 61’ Chevy truck that has been restored 3 times now and a Porsche 356 that’s still not on the road.   The 02’ is my first and am excited to see how it all plays out. I guess it’s time to put on my big boy pants and rip the floors out and check out the mechanical side which seems pretty par for a 76. Space/time/money and two kids are my biggest enemy.

cheers guys!!

• Like 1

• Alpina

When I wrecked my 02 I decided to do a spreadsheet of the items installed in the car showing the price of each item at the time of the accident. It all totaled to about $49k without the cost of the actual car!

I was lucky enough to have only around 9-10k into it at the time, including parts/paint/car etc. Car was a rolling project with a close ratio tranny that I paid 3k for. Some parts came from other cars, while paint was 2k. Wheels around 1k. 

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

Thank you all for the input. So cool to hear everyone’s $.02 

I’ve seen quite a few resto’s go down including my brothers 61’ Chevy truck that has been restored 3 times now and a Porsche 356 that’s still not on the road.   The 02’ is my first and am excited to see how it all plays out. I guess it’s time to put on my big boy pants and rip the floors out and check out the mechanical side which seems pretty par for a 76. Space/time/money and two kids are my biggest enemy.

cheers guys!!

CDN dollars.  20-30K for a solid rust free USA candidate landed with taxes and reggo,  adequate paint, motor, drivetrain.  And about the same to get it "well sorted",  All rubber, steering and suspension on point, no squeaks or rattles or clunks or clicks, A/C and a quiet cab, stereo, alarm etc,  no smoke, no leaking oil, 5 speed, nice exhaust, header, glass etc...  plus (and this is a big plus) your time. 

If you don't have time, then I would pick something else.  Where I am there is really nobody to work on it, so I have to do it all myself.   I have a really great machinist to make special and/or difficult bits, but that is it. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002