• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed conversion++diff. questions.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

5speed.JPG

Hey all-

Just wanted to share my 75 dollar 90x mile tranny. Thank you pick and pull half-off day!! Great for the budget enthusiast. I hope I can get the conversion done in June. Also, anyone know a good driveshaft shop in Sacramento?

One other thing... when did they stop putting the boat anchor diff. in the 02s? I thought they were only in really early cars, and my car is an actual '71 (according to the VIN) and has no evidence of being tampered with (like the cut-in-half M3 from the roadfly boards or something terrible like that) but I wonder why someone would go through the trouble of changing it out. I think it's a 4.10 rear end, perhaps that was why, but it's a bit tall. What would be involved in correcting this? I know the driveshaft must be changed, but what else would I have to do? It may not be all that bad, but the clutch is so worn out I can't really rev the car up. It's weird what people will do to cars after 30 years.

-Alan

71 2002

83 320i

78 323i

Guest Anonymous

end of Dec 1968 production. If your '71 has one, it's been fitted (along with the proper rear subframe--they're different) from an earlier car. That's kinda unusual. 1600s switched over to short neck diffs at about the same time (don't know the VIN) so most 69s--and all the later 1600s had short neck 4.10 diffs.

I'd be kinda surprised if you had a long neck diff in your car; it's quite a bit of trouble to swap--subframe, driveshaft etc.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

They had inserted the car recently, I had been out there a couple weeks ago and I just saw it. There's a set of BBS 13's laying on the ground out there too, I've just been too lazy to round them up.

-Alan

Guest Anonymous

Which, according to what I've learned, is a US-spec 71 2002. I don't really know why someone would swap out the diff as well, maybe more acceleration? It still doesn't make complete sense, if they made the short-neck 1600's. Oh well, it works, so I should probably leave well enough alone. :)

-Alan