Sign in to follow this  
djminkin

Rear shocks

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

What is the story behind the rear shocks being mounted upside down on the ti?  I

Some aftermarket companies offered (and quite possibly still offer) inverted shock absorbers.  Can you post a picture of what is installed on your car?  Most likely will have a brand/logo and part number.

9 hours ago, djminkin said:

What is the story behind the rear shocks being mounted upside down on the ti?  I

Its not much of a story. 50 years ago companies like bilstein, boge, and koni built rear shocks for our cars with the piston rod attaching to the trailing arm, and the shock body mounting up inside your wheel well. Over time there have been changes so they are usually the other way around now. I am doing the suspension on a  CS right now, and when its time for the shocks on that car I will send old "inverted" shocks to bilstein to be rebuilt and use those. I'd just prefer the look as being more "in period" :-D

S

47 minutes ago, dp said:

Its not much of a story. 50 years ago companies like bilstein, boge, and koni built rear shocks for our cars with the piston rod attaching to the trailing arm, and the shock body mounting up inside your wheel well. Over time there have been changes so they are usually the other way around now. I am doing the suspension on a  CS right now, and when its time for the shocks on that car I will send old "inverted" shocks to bilstein to be rebuilt and use those. I'd just prefer the look as being more "in period" 😄

So it wasn’t ti specific?  More just earlier years?

15 minutes ago, djminkin said:

S

So it wasn’t ti specific?  More just earlier years?

ANY of our older cars, since the late 70's/early '80's and before. 

-30-