djminkin

Rear shocks

10 posts / 592 viewsLast Reply

What is the story behind the rear shocks being mounted upside down on the ti?  I

Some aftermarket companies offered (and quite possibly still offer) inverted shock absorbers.  Can you post a picture of what is installed on your car?  Most likely will have a brand/logo and part number.

9 hours ago, djminkin said:

What is the story behind the rear shocks being mounted upside down on the ti?  I

Its not much of a story. 50 years ago companies like bilstein, boge, and koni built rear shocks for our cars with the piston rod attaching to the trailing arm, and the shock body mounting up inside your wheel well. Over time there have been changes so they are usually the other way around now. I am doing the suspension on a  CS right now, and when its time for the shocks on that car I will send old "inverted" shocks to bilstein to be rebuilt and use those. I'd just prefer the look as being more "in period" :-D

S

47 minutes ago, dp said:

Its not much of a story. 50 years ago companies like bilstein, boge, and koni built rear shocks for our cars with the piston rod attaching to the trailing arm, and the shock body mounting up inside your wheel well. Over time there have been changes so they are usually the other way around now. I am doing the suspension on a  CS right now, and when its time for the shocks on that car I will send old "inverted" shocks to bilstein to be rebuilt and use those. I'd just prefer the look as being more "in period" 😄

So it wasn’t ti specific?  More just earlier years?

15 minutes ago, djminkin said:

S

So it wasn’t ti specific?  More just earlier years?

ANY of our older cars, since the late 70's/early '80's and before. 

-30-

Bilstein Upside Down are racecar specific parts. But Alpina and a few others used them also for street cars, but not with unibal.

The rear Bilstein Upside Down you can buy new at every dealer (in germany, I do not know in the US). The front shocks you can also buy new at Bilstein Motorsport, but you also need the special strut. In my opinion, repairing Upside Down parts makes only sense if they have 11mm rods and not the old 10,5mm.

20190331_134515.jpg

20190331_134522.jpg

20190331_121509.jpg

Only in a gas shock     cannot run oil style shocks upside down    Lots of manufactures did it this way, early Alfa's come to mind as well as some British cars 

dp said it already, but this has nothing to do with the ti sub-model. And the factory never provided this as an option on any ‘02 sub-model. Some tiny percentage of ‘02’s acquired upside-down shocks post-factory — many of them were race cars.

Best regards,

Steve

(edited)

My 69 was bone stock when I acquired it. Rear shocks were upside down and looked to be the original but I guess not I suppose only special performance shocks were mounted this way 

Edited by djminkin
  • Like 1

(edited)
On 4/23/2019 at 4:15 PM, djminkin said:

My 69 was bone stock when I acquired it. Rear shocks were upside down and looked to be the original but I guess not I suppose only special performance shocks were mounted this way 

After 30, 40, or more years in place, even non-original items start looking very original!

My ‘76’s nosepiece and right front fender were replaced in 1978 after a .... mishap. In 2014, preparing for the car’s first re-paint, two very excellent body shops — not informed that the nose and fender were “post-factory” — were proposing repairing the rusty right-front fender to maintain the car’s originality! Like I said, 40 years down the road everything looks original!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv