djminkin

First year tii 1971

38 posts / 2109 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I’m in the process of restoring a 1971 euro tii and was wondering what the differences are between the first year and after in the roundie cars. I know it has the plastic intakes and I believe the front brakes are a bit different but any other pros or cons?  Thanks. 

Edited by djminkin

Those are not restore-able. Best bet is to ship it to me for safekeeping. If you act now, I'll split the shipping costs with  you! :D

... oh, it may  have cloth upholstery, the high compression motor and a 3:45 diff.

Others may know more.

Cheers, and post pics.

• Like 2

Plastic grills, square rear lights, non plastic intake runners, run a search there’s loads posted over the years on the differences.

(edited)
1 hour ago, djminkin said:

I’m in the process of restoring a 1971 euro tii and was wondering what the differences are between the first year and after in the roundie cars. I know it has the plastic intakes and I believe the front brakes are a bit different but any other pros or cons?  Thanks. 

As Ray mentioned, the original compression ratio was likely 10.0:1. The 3.45 diffs are quite rare in the U.S. — because they weren’t officially imported here — but, even today, few U.S. ‘02 owners are looking for such a tall differential ratio. I suspect the odds of finding an original ‘02 LSD are, however, greater with a Euro tii. But I’m not familiar with a change in tii brakes from 1971 to later cars.

Then there are the Euro-vs.-U.S. differences. There’s no vapor recovery system to deal with. But, at least originally, I suspect a ‘71 Euro tii came with spaghetti-strap seatbelts, not retractors!

Please post photos.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

The fuel curves on the pump were different too.

I happen to really like the early compression & injection system along with the 3:45.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, djminkin said:

I’m in the process of restoring a 1971 euro tii and was wondering what the differences are between  the first year and after in the roundie cars. I know it has the plastic intakes and I believe the front brakes are a bit different but any other pros or cons?  Thanks. 

5A487F19-8C42-4C08-9DFB-FED9A3F43B08.jpeg

FE14FBC8-9153-4436-970F-601BEB0D1E6F.jpeg

D76F4498-4926-4E54-A185-8304BC25953F.jpeg

743249AF-98FA-4852-9BFC-29E6F0972439.jpeg

DDEACD38-BAE4-4557-A2C5-94817C60880A.jpeg

72609A92-4FE4-49BE-9434-3F955B5E60FC.jpeg

• Like 6

(edited)

Has very low miles 23k kilometers. Think it is legit from last it was registered and the cleanliness of the interior but I think it was left outside and rollled in salt from the beltline down. The front end was changed and it has a quad light setup.  Will return all that to original close the snorkel hole 

Edited by djminkin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Plastic grills, square rear lights, non plastic intake runners, run a search there’s loads posted over the years on the differences.

Ummmmm... typos I hope? 

2 hours ago, djminkin said:

Whats the VIN? Do you know the history of the car?

Has a couple things in common with mine. Wish my 71 tii didn’t receive those quad headlamps like yours, it has been a chore to correct that.

I started a thread on early 2002tii information a few months back, there are a few informative posts there also. 

Fabulous in Colorado!

(The steering wheel and pedal pads, however, certainly suggest more than 23K kilometers....  My ‘76’s look much better after 105K miles, my ‘73’s look much better after what is likely 127K miles, or maybe even 227K miles. ?)

Regards,

Steve

(edited)
40 minutes ago, oh2ryan said:

Ummmmm... typos I hope? 

Whats the VIN? Do you know the history of the car?

Has a couple things in common with mine. Wish my 71 tii didn’t receive those quad headlamps like yours, it has been a chore to correct that.

I started a thread on early 2002tii information a few months back, there are a few informative posts there also. 

Oh dear I really should read more carefully, I thought you meant between early and late tii’s 

clearly you didn’t, I didn’t realise you meant roundies only ? apologies ☺️

Edited by SydneyTii

3 minutes ago, SydneyTii said:

Oh dear I really should read more carefully, I thought you meant between early and late tii’s 

clearly you didn’t, I didn’t realise you meant roundies only ? apologies ☺️

I figured thats what you meant. Will the OP DOES have plastic grilles in this case though haha

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Conserv said:

Fabulous in Colorado!

(The steering wheel and pedal pads, however, certainly suggest more than 23K kilometers....  My ‘76’s look much better after 105K miles, my ‘73’s look much better after what is likely 127K miles, or maybe even 227K miles. ?)

Regards,

Steve

The steering wheel had a cover on it that was basically glued to the original one. I removed it thinking the original one would be pristine but the covering came off with it. The car was on the road a couple years in the early 70’s and then not registered again until 91. Then nothing after that. It was owned by one guy.  I think the mileage is legit but he took no precautions to preserve it. Either way it will be nice and shiny again. Interesting about the diff. I did notice it had a pretty tall gearing when I drove it. 

Had the quad headlights. Want to go back to stock. Will I need anything besides the buckets?  Not sure if anything was cut out. 

F324FF5F-795A-4BC0-AB2E-E91CF74CD906.jpeg

(edited)
12 minutes ago, djminkin said:

The steering wheel had a cover on it that was basically glued to the original one. I removed it thinking the original one would be pristine but the covering came off with it. The car was on the road a couple years in the early 70’s and then not registered again until 91. Then nothing after that. It was owned by one guy.  I think the mileage is legit but he took no precautions to preserve it. Either way it will be nice and shiny again. Interesting about the diff. I did notice it had a pretty tall gearing when I drove it. 

Had the quad headlights. Want to go back to stock. Will I need anything besides the buckets?  Not sure if anything was cut out. 

F324FF5F-795A-4BC0-AB2E-E91CF74CD906.jpeg

The hood hinge supports appear to be in place, as well as the mounting tabs for the side grilles, so it was likely just the supports for the headlight buckets that were cut away: the inner halves do appear to be cut away in the photo.

You might want to compare photos and notes with Ryan (oh2ryan) because his Euro tii had been modded for quad headlights as well. And he’s almost ready to paint, so has been dealing with the aftermath of the quads.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Thanks I’m going to go to the body shop today and take some better photos.