Jam3422

Front Bumper Bracket Attachment

4 posts / 304 viewsLast Reply

The front bumper bracket (#15 below, the "bow") on one side of my car has been welded to the frame rail instead of being attached with two bolts (#8 below).  The car is an early 71 2002ti, so it's a euro bumper.  The guy doing the metal work on my car wants to make it correct, but we are unsure if the bolts are essentially captive bolts (not sure what those are called), or if there is supposed to be two captive nuts in the frame rail to receive two studs, which then attach the bow with nuts.  I'm leaning towards option 1 given the parts drawing, but want to be sure. 

Thanks 

Andy

bumper.png

Yes they are captive bolts, but they are separate bolts which slide into a slot in the chassis rail. The bolts have a square section on the shank such that they won't rotate in the slot.

There are (2) carriage type bolts that fit into the slots in the frame rail. Positioning the bumper brackets and getting the bolts into the slots takes some finagling.  I have an early Euro bumper on my 69.

IMG_9709_zps40c5a4f9.jpg

IMG_9705_zpse3d7c6c4.jpg

IMG_9706_zpsd3c073e8.jpg