andyleonard

Early 1600 Driveshaft Flex Discs???

38 posts / 2297 viewsLast Reply

Anyone know what/where/who has the discs for the early 66/67 slip joint driveshafts with 3 rag joints and no U-joints? I can't even get a part number off RealOem.

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 2.28.17 PM.png

Went through some old receipts and catalogs for my Feb. 68 1600-2 which had the 3 guibo driveshaft.  I found numerous receipts showing part # 26 11 1 100 863 flex disc.  In an old Rocky mountain motor works catalog it shows that this is for a 2002 thru 68.  Since I don't have a 2002 I must have used these on my 1600.  I bought them from Maximillian Importing Co.  in 2002.

(edited)

Ach! Another bargain from BMW! Only $187 each and 3 required.

Given all the 3 bolt flex discs in use by BMW/MBZ etc. is there an interchange known? 76mmx10mm. Any thickness will work as shaft has a slip joint.

Edited by andyleonard

All I can find is "original OEM. " I wonder what the resource would be to search ALL flex discs by size and see what's 76x10? This should be  $25 problem not $200.

Be easier to cut the 3 flanges off the shaft and replace them with E36 parts than to hunt these puppies down now and later.

Thanks Einspritz for tracking this one. It's for one of the guys on here.

I got as far as an X5 front flex at 10mm bolts and 78mm circle for $22 instead of 10mm bolts and 76mm circle for $197. I'll bet Dorman has something that fits. Maybe the parts store has a big book.

I'll look in my catalogs, perhaps there is an X-Ref.

So, 76 x 10 is the size?

Yes. 76x10.  One assumes it's bolt diameter by bolt circle. Center bore is negotiable. There HAS to be one on a MBZ.

FYI Summit sells $32 Dorman flex discs that interchange BMW 318 and Chevy. It shouldn't be hard.

OK. They are / were made by Jurid, from an OLD import car catalog.

Look to see if your 3 ear flange is the same as an E21.

the 6-bolt units were used on the '81-'83 manuals and '77-'83 Automatics. the size is 108mm O.D. x 28mm thick, 10mm holes.

26-11-1-225-624

Your quest begins.

I've got a 245 manual and the 1600 shaft here on the ground. The only one I'm missing for comparison is the 2002 Auto 3 ear. My belief is that we'll end up with a modern BMW or MBZ part. Onward.

(edited)
45 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

I got the same discs

B1FAB15F-75DD-4DCD-8ACA-95CFA2A5F0AB.jpeg

Yep. That's the same part with the old part #. Each old-style driveshaft uses 3 of them. That's what we're looking for - just not at $200 each.

Soak those guys in Armorall for a day.

Edited by andyleonard

Lemforder indicates the bolt circle on the common E21, E30, etc. disc is 78mm. We're looking for 76mm. Pretty close.

Still betting on a MBZ part. Anyone got a book showing MBZ/Vauxhall flex discs by size?