kstone

emergency brake handle rehab

4 posts / 296 viewsLast Reply

After spending two hours trying to get all the parts back in the handle and not finding a solution on 2002 faq, I asked someone two has restored more 2002s than me to help. The problem was that the pie shaped piece with the teeth could not be put in despite the trick of taping the button pushed all the way in. The wire the button is attached to was not far enough in which kept the rachet (the small piece which fits in the hook end of the wire) interfering with the insertion of the large gear. The solution was to unscrew the button from the wire which allowed the wire to go in another eight of an inch which meant the the two toothed pieces no longer interfered with one another. Hope this helps someone.

• Like 2

(edited)

PM me--I had the same problem reassembling mine, and I ended up including my solution in a Roundel column, which I'm happy to share with you.  I spent a frustrating 30 minutes trying to make it go back together, and ended up using a pair of vise grips to hold things together.  That was some years ago and the details escape me, but it went back together pretty easily after using the vise grips.  

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

Yes, assembling that hand brake and keeping it together while catching the brake cables underneath and pulling them into place is definitely in my top 5 ‘jobs that I would love to have seen done on the moving BMW production line’

1 hour ago, Simeon said:

Yes, assembling that hand brake and keeping it together while catching the brake cables underneath and pulling them into place is definitely in my top 5 ‘jobs that I would love to have seen done on the moving BMW production line’

Oooh, that sounds like a great name for a new thread.

jobs that I would love to have seen done on the moving BMW production line’