• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ether Injection

011.thumb.JPG.9a5c69574cd4cca4cbf57ed2e1d23340.JPG016.thumb.JPG.8ca330ac9e911fe5106e8ba35d24a274.JPG015.thumb.JPG.bf8152af783ca8a9e2e9ce33517d6059.JPG

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 2

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

29 minutes ago, Bibm5 said:

Reminds me of a video I saw where some rednecks used a leaf Blower as a super charger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not Rednecks.  Was An episode of Roadkill where they bought a Chevy Monza V8 and added 5 or more leaf blowers as super chargers. After they added a manual valve to pressurize the "charge" pipe it actually worked.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Not Rednecks.  Was An episode of Roadkill where they bought a Chevy Monza V8 and added 5 or more leaf blowers as super chargers. After they added a manual valve to pressurize the "charge" pipe it actually worked.
I haven't seen that episode. I was referring to some guys on YouTube with a stihl Blower duct taped to the intake of an excursion... It added about 12hp.7ee2821526670dcdc5cbbd57260d4421.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibm5 said:

I haven't seen that episode. I was referring to some guys on YouTube with a stihl Blower duct taped to the intake of an excursion... It added about 12hp.7ee2821526670dcdc5cbbd57260d4421.jpg

Oops.  I mixed up the videos.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I occasionally wonder: if Nitrous Oxide is injected into petrol engines because it contains more oxygen than the air in the atmosphere then why not inject pure oxygen with the gasoline?

[failed high school chemistry, suspects that the answer would involve melting pistons, block, rods...]

• Haha 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

That's how we started the naturally aspirated IH 866 most mornings.

The thing was such a low- compression diesel that the factory fitted 

ether to it as a stock cold- weather option.  The button in the cab even had a warning not to 

push it for more than 2 seconds, or you could explode the intake manifold.

Ahh, those were the days...

t

Alexander Tractor .jpg

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

that is SUPER cool Toby.

the ether is not for moar power.  

it is for  s t a r t i n g the engine.

colder winter temps, tired battery, thick oil, empty float bowl... 

I used starting fluid the other day, instead of the battery charger and wondered how it'd work to simply plumb it into the intake.  (It'd be a seasonal installation).

Initially I thought about plumbing it down through the carb, but then wondered about shooting it in through the vacuum port below the carb.

Slow starts are only a problem after sitting, when it is cold.  Otherwise it fires right off.

Now, if I was going for moar power, I might try hairspray. ;) Years ago, we used Aquanet in a potato cannon and shot one through a sheet of 3/4" plywood.  I do recall a little extra oxygen from the torch making for an even bigger boom.

• Haha 1

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

6 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

that is SUPER cool Toby.

the ether is not for moar power.  

it is for  s t a r t i n g the engine.

colder winter temps, tired battery, thick oil, empty float bowl... 

I used starting fluid the other day, instead of the battery charger and wondered how it'd work to simply plumb it into the intake.  (It'd be a seasonal installation).

Initially I thought about plumbing it down through the carb, but then wondered about shooting it in through the vacuum port below the carb.

Slow starts are only a problem after sitting, when it is cold.  Otherwise it fires right off.

Now, if I was going for moar power, I might try hairspray. Years ago, we used Aquanet in a potato cannon and shot one through a sheet of 3/4" plywood.  I do recall a little extra oxygen from the torch making for an even bigger boom.

You shouldn't need starting fluid nor use it if you can avoid it. I'm willing to bet your slow starts are due to absence of flammable fuel in the carb rather than the relative flammability of the fuel you're using. Do you use ethanol-free gas? Have you verified your float bowls aren't drying out after shutdown? I like the idea of the Jeep filter purging pressure after shutdown but that could be compounding the issue.

For interest, here is the local Australian product. It’s interesting what marque of car Nulon chose to illustrate their point for ‘petrol’ engines. 

Uncanny or conspiracy?

AED303DF-03E2-454E-B410-9865AFCC6319.thumb.jpeg.de1f1187cabab13ed7e5a7d1435b1a83.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I like the idea. I use it religiously for cold starts, especially if she has been sitting for awhile. 

Like the idea of not having to lift the hood, remove air filter cover, spray etc...

Where would the can sit? In the cab or under the hood? Fire danger with the residual ether in the line or the can next to a hot engine? 

Maybe you could combine the Ether with some Nitrous, then you would be able to play mobile anesthetist ..... (OK really bad joke)....

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

17 hours ago, Simeon said:

I occasionally wonder: if Nitrous Oxide is injected into petrol engines because it contains more oxygen than the air in the atmosphere then why not inject pure oxygen with the gasoline?

[failed high school chemistry, suspects that the answer would involve melting pistons, block, rods...]

I failed it as well, BUT I did watch a video on this at some point, I think it was something about pure oxygen being too dangerous cuz it likes to explode or something. IDK I don't like chemistry, it makes me remember that class... not good

Starting fluid is petroleum ether, not the same as diethyl ether used for anesthesia back in the day. Petroleum ether is mixed hydrocarbons, like brake cleaner. Diethyl ether tends to form explosive peroxides over time, so there are horror stories of people using old bottles of the stuff in the lab, and probably would be too volatile to use for starting an engine.  Injecting oxygen would increase hp but would be a pain to store. Injecting liquid oxygen would be a lot more fun! Nitrous does a lot more chemistry in the engine than just pure oxygen, so packs more power (higher energy density). 

- Ph.D. Chemist

• Thanks 2

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911