andyleonard

1976 Smog Exempt in CA?

17 posts / 1438 viewsLast Reply

Anyone know WTF is happening with CA smog requirements for a 76 2002 after the 1st? It seems there was a sort of exemption for 76-81 if the were collector cars and didn't leak fluids, but it expires on the 1st and I don't see the follow-up.

Any clues? I see a76 auto I want but not if it needs smog forever.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1239

• Like 1

No changes as of yet....76's still need smog unless you are in an obscure county that doesn't require smog to renew the registration, but I still think its require to transfer registration.

Anyone had any luck changing a previously registered as a 76 to a 75 if it has a 75 build date?

• Like 1

Andy

By following the legislative record  it looks like SB 1239 failed to pass the Senate vote and never became law.  Your link  only shows it's status as is was going thru the legislative process and was being amended

Do  a Google search of California SB 1239 to read more 

So that only means (to me) that the alleged 76-81 exemption for Historical vehicles never happened? Mmmph.

What do guys with 76s in CA do? They can't all still have smog systems on them?

19 minutes ago, andyleonard said:

What do guys with 76s in CA do? They can't all still have smog systems on them?

Nope, many of us don't, and some of us even have engine swaps!  All you need is to know how to use the rules to your advantage,  It's very nice that some rural areas do not need inspections after the first one at purchase.  ?

For a 76 you need to pass visual and a smog test to register the car in your name

Then if you can register it in rural areas that are in an air basin without strict smog rules - defined by zip codes by the California Air Resources Board - you don’t need semi annual smog tests

Many people believe that Smog Rules are the same throughout California but they are not .  It depends on the zip code the car is registered.  Check the CARB website for details

• Like 1

So you buy a 76, and rent - what - a mailbox in Desert Center?, register the car there, and then do a visual inspection and a one-time 2 speed idle emissions test? Keep the mailbox and get your renewals with no smog check there?

I guess that might work if the 76 was stock with all smog stuff on it and passed the sniff test, then it got a new motor.

If.

15 hours ago, tashakes said:

Shoot me a PM for details.  Big brother may be reading.... ?

im interested...

Just befriend your smog guy and go to him with all your cars. My guy doesn’t do visual at all and straight up told me, without me asking, “I don’t care whats under the hood just as long as it passes the sniffer”. Got an M30 swapped E30 smogged no problemo. 

I’m sure there’s others out there...

Also there is the very common and inexspensive denatured alcohol trick. Super easy to do. Works for me every time ?