mjcari

Wiring harness install

21 posts / 3621 viewsLast Reply

Hey gang,

My 73 tii was towed home from the restoration shop on Thursday and i am ready for assembly. I took this car apart over 10 years ago, and although i have many pictures and i labeled each end of the wiring harness with a label maker for what they connect with, i would really love some underhood, interior, trunk, and underbody pictures of the wiring harness installed, the more detail the better. I am finishing re-wrapping the harness and would like to get it in.  Thanks !

A2076AFA-D996-43BF-B54F-36FAC2FEDF78.jpeg

• Like 2

How did you store the harness 10 years ago?  Was it thrown in a box?  Does it need cleaning and fixing?

I recommend laying it out on the floor and then addressing problems while cleaning and re-wrapping it.  Put the whole thing inside the cabin then feed the front and rear sections thru the openings in the left side.

I have it all fixed and rewrapped. I laid it out on my basement floor. I just want to see how it was routed thru the car. My harness is fine, thanks.

Edited by mjcari

I am about 80% finished with the same harness project on my ‘73 non-tii. I removed my harness within the last year and I do have some photos of before and after. Not enough befores but will share what I have with you next week. Out of town on vacation now. Also have many lessons learned that I can share, if they are not too late to help you!

That’s a help. I have the harness, all laid out , repaired and labeled for each connector. (Actually it’s two harnesses.) i just want to see the routing thru the firewall, around the engine and in the cabin and to the trunk to help me with the layout as my pictures are not very good.  Thanks 

I am back in my office and will try putting some pictures up now.  I have photos and scans of printed photos with notes.  I will attempt the uploads now and then later post some notes about the work I did on my wiring.  I am NOT an expert so no judging, please!

Behind Dash in Front of Driver.pdf

Firewall in Front of Driver.pdf

Firewall Penetrations Inside Eng Comp.pdf

Harnesses in Eng Comp.JPG

Harnesses Under Dash - Lightened.jpg

Harnesses Under Dash.JPG

Harnesses With Fuse Wires Together.JPG

Heater Box Connection Diagram.pdf

Hope these help. 

FWIW: and for those thinking about re-wrapping their harnesses, here's a technique that has served me well:

I unwrap the old harness about 10-12" at a time, then wrap vinyl bands of electrical tape every 6" or so. I clean the wires with Prep-Sol or similar cleaner (lacquer thinner works well too - and didn't remove the colors from the wires, when used carefully)

I chose to route it through the grommets beforehand, THEN re-wrap it with proper cloth tape about 10-12" at a time while pushing or pulling sections through the grommets, as I wrapped them. I actually enjoy doing harness work like this. It's a Zen thing and yields immediate results. :) 

Hope these photos help - sorry no inside photos.

IMG_5093.JPG

photo 1.JPG

IMG_5160.JPG

bay B4.jpg

• Like 2

Oh! And this might help - though it's from a 72 tii, I believe several years of 12 fuse systems shared this color schematic...though perhaps not 75-76 cars.

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg