irdave

e30m3 noises...

18 posts / 533 viewsLast Reply

So since the m2 showed up I've been looking at m3 / s14 stuff- obviously.  Apparently a lot of it is from the carbon airbox (with big cams and big revs, but still.)  I think Marshall has one; I need to talk with him about it.

The intake is louder than the exhaust.

Listen to this...

Edited by irdave
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, zinz said:

Awesomeness. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully soon, I can be hearing that from behind the wheel... 😎

Ed

Dude.  Are you building an M2?

Yeah, but the sound...

And that's why I'm leaving mine at 2.3- it's plenty quick, even up here at altitude.  And I've decided that I don't want anything too fast- my s54 wagon leaves me frustrated with traffic...  Slow car not nearly so frustrating for me.  All to do with my limitations.  :)

13 hours ago, irdave said:

Yeah, but the sound...

And that's why I'm leaving mine at 2.3- it's plenty quick, even up here at altitude.  And I've decided that I don't want anything too fast- my s54 wagon leaves me frustrated with traffic...  Slow car not nearly so frustrating for me.  All to do with my limitations.  :)

Marshall's M2 build thread has multiple on track videos of his car.  

29 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Marshall's M2 build thread has multiple on track videos of his car.  

It's not the sound from inside, it's the sound from being in front outside...  Get Ray to post the video he sent me, you can hear it from the shot outside his car as he drives by.  You need to be in front.  Just mega.

As you stated above... that roar is from the big ITBs resonating in the carbon fiber DTM airbox.  Those of us running sidedrafts with big, open filters enjoy a similar noise.  Under load at full throttle the intake and exhaust noise combine for a very particular noise.  Every race car has their own noise... I imagine most folks could pick out the roar of a Big 6 CSL, and there is no mistaking the snarl of a V12 Ferrari with 6 Webers.

I suppose BMW used a cast aluminum airbox on the E30 M3 street car to quiet that noise.  

29 minutes ago, irdave said:

It's not the sound from inside, it's the sound from being in front outside...  Get Ray to post the video he sent me, you can hear it from the shot outside his car as he drives by.  You need to be in front.  Just mega.

Tho the ignition curve was dis-optimal at the time.

It's better now :)

Edited by ray_
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, irdave said:

yes...from outside the car the intake is louder than even my pretty open exhaust.  S14 intake noise sucking through a carbon airbox at 7500rpm is pure music.  i get comments about the sound every time i go to the track.

s14's in 2002's seem to generate more of that music than e30M3's, probably due to the more open grill and less insulated engine bay.

Edited by mlytle

49 minutes ago, mlytle said:

yes...from outside the car the intake is louder than even my pretty open exhaust.  S14 intake noise sucking through a carbon airbox at 7500rpm is pure music.  i get comments about the sound every time i go to the track.

s14's in 2002's seem to generate more of that music than e30M3's, probably due to the more open grill and less insulated engine bay.

Dammit!  Between you and Ray!  There's only so much a guy can take!