• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Turbo and Exhaust manifold

wkohler

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a cracked manifold and decided to buy this one from a shop in Bulgaria (yes I know):

800_61337907cbdbb.jpg
WWW.THEKANGAROOSTEAM.COM

**NOTE : At the current situation this product has 1-2 weeks lead time before being shipped! ** The Manifold features: T3 Twin scroll flange for the Turbo 38mm wastegate flange Superior flow characteristics 99% look as the original super rare m10 oem...

I received it (live in Holland) after 1 week and it sure looks the part with nice fit and finish. It is casted for a non-turbo head with 8 mm studs. Of course  it will have to prove itself in real life.

My set-up has about 10 psi boost and EFI so it won't suffer too much. For this price it's a steal compared to the stainless ebay manifolds as it's a cast manifold.

I am just fitting the Kangaroos Team (KT) manifold to my turbo (last weekend), I got the mounting holes drilled-out to support the M10 studs/bolts. I needed to use a 'thinner wall' M10 nut on this KT manifold, the original 17mmAF nuts wouldn't clear the casting, whereas 15mm AF ones work fine. So far so good, will likely test drive in the next few days.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Wow time flies.

I bought a NOS manifold on an internet auction site shortly after this discovery was made.  Here’s a few photos comparing that to the “original” one.

2292A928-DE62-41FA-A997-2C56F710F26F.thumb.jpeg.aa94fa84d86319d75668c4918d99b542.jpegDD462C81-59CA-48C9-B4C0-84A193969B52.thumb.jpeg.c4787cdc12fc84e08556f3a77e638f32.jpegCB3E90AB-4C41-473C-AE14-6DBBC666EBC7.thumb.jpeg.a382c852e43b5d7a642a3a4eb6e0b259.jpeg

I was planning to use that but I also need a turbocharger and despite buying some parts, spending some time on the fuel system trying to get the car ready to potentially run, not much has happened.  I took my injectors to a couple diesel shops to get them cleaned and the one that used to do tii injectors for years was bought by Diesel Forward and now won’t do it and the other guy that said he’d try had them for a couple months and couldn’t test them, it’s been a shelf for a couple of years now (It does well at that.  The trunk spoiler is very effective). Not sure what to do.

I did buy one of these manifolds as well and looking at it I wasn’t sure how much meat would be left where the long studs go after boring it out to M10 but I’m glad to know it works with some adaptations.  Plan is to use the Marsupial Group manifold and put the NOS one aside in case.  Obviously this manifold doesn’t have provisions for the heat shield either, but that’s not a big deal.  Guess I need to figure out a turbo solution that works but doesn’t cost as much as a 528e if such a thing even exists.  Also would be nice if someone made the brackets that support the turbocharger itself.

Edited by wkohler

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

Somewhere I did see reproduction brackets....... First guess was Carl Nelson... Again.

Or you can easily make one .... See my post with the pdf.s if not I'm pretty sure I have the specs.

BTW, after reading the post from the beginning, I stand by my observation the engine is running lean......

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, dlacey said:

I am just fitting the Kangaroos Team (KT) manifold to my turbo (last weekend), I got the mounting holes drilled-out to support the M10 studs/bolts. I needed to use a 'thinner wall' M10 nut on this KT manifold, the original 17mmAF nuts wouldn't clear the casting, whereas 15mm AF ones work fine. So far so good, will likely test drive in the next few days.

Looking forward to hearing about the KT manifold.  I bought one about a year ago before moving back to the US and it is still packed away.  My first impression of it is that it is more or less dimensionally correct but a really crude casting, especially the ports (or maybe I just didn't get a good one).

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002, '80 alpine 320is

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, dlacey said:

I bought a KT manifold as well and have it sitting on the shelf for a future turbo build.  I'm very interested in how this works out.  Good to hear that the fit is so-far, so-good...

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002, '80 alpine 320is

On 2/3/2023 at 7:30 PM, Einspritz said:

Somewhere I did see reproduction brackets....... First guess was Carl Nelson... Again.

Or you can easily make one .... See my post with the pdf.s if not I'm pretty sure I have the specs.

BTW, after reading the post from the beginning, I stand by my observation the engine is running lean......

Thanks.  I’ll talk to Carl since I’ll be seeing him soon.  As far as I’m aware, the last time the engine ran was 1985 or so.  I haven’t gotten it running since I bought the car.  Briefly did some work on that towards making it run without the turbo just to see in mid 2020 but haven’t had time (also haven’t had much motivation) for that since.  

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

I have been testing the KT manifold for few weeks now... It's performing fine...

Screenshot_2023_0311_132052.jpg.607d3f0db3d378783f1908992b664123.jpg

Part No6, the steady bracket between turbo and engine block needed modifying because the turbo sits about 3mm lower on the KT manifold than original. Apart from that and the thinner nuts mentioned above, it's a drop-in replacement for the original manifold. My exhaust system mated-up fine, also confirming the turbo is in its original position almost exactly.

So far very happy...will push it harder in the next month's & see how it performs when glowing...

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

• 1 month later...