• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why didn't it sell? turbo.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

141077871WtJjSm_ph.jpg

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2477875939

I really had no idea, and still dont. The auction ended at 3,700 though. NO way its worth that little! Location maybe? im in Michigan....too modified maybe? was my description just far too honest? maybe i should be really vague like every other auction on ebay. Should i have left out that im still young, think that scares people away? was the high buy it now price scaring away bidders? Just wondering what peoples opinions are.....I very well might just keep the car, i drove it sunday and it was oh so much fun! thanks everyone -Reid

Guest Anonymous

People are concerned about the unknown... especially if it looks used.

People will buy worthless stuff for lots of money if it looks good- and

not buy good stuff if it looks bad. Actually I was bummed that you were

gonna sell it... but it seems you might be hanging with us for a while

longer- cool.

Guest Anonymous

very nice car. But IMHO the $15k reserve probably is more than most 02 enthusiasts are willing to pay for this highly modified car, so they didn't waste the time to bid; especially when some pretty nice "original" turbos are going for about the same $$$ (or not much more). The reserve price + modifications to the body probably helped limit the interest. I think more 02ers tend to favor "classic" vs. "radical" alterations. Keep advertising and someone will come along that likes it as much as you do. In the meantime, enjoy the hell out of what looks to be a very nice car.

Guest Anonymous

to get out of it what you put into it, and that number would put off impatient bidders. I've bid on cars where the seller has an unrealistic reserve, and I wound up frustrated that I wasted time and never did find out what the bottom line price would be. Good luck with the car!

Guest Anonymous

Number one is the high "buy it now" price. I don't know what your rock-bottom number is, but I think 15 large scares off some potential buyers.

Second is your narrative. People with $15k to blow on a fun car probably aren't young people (I count myself as one of them at 28). No offense to younger folks, but the more discerning crowd who have that cash at their disposal might well be more concerned about technical specifications and quality/durability of the work performed. Remember that orange M2 that came up on eBay about five times in a month a while back? I recall that listing being very clinical, and it gives the impression of professionalism. That car sold for big money a couple times in a row. While your description is colorful, it might make potential buyers think that the car has been beat on or abused on a regular basis (racing 5.0 Mustangs, etc.) and that hurts its value. I'm sure the work you've done has been quality, but the description might make some think that it's kid-stuff work that's been rigged together and is ready to blow up.

Detail the car from top to bottom and take better pictures. The paint on your car has looked great in other pictures but here it does look like primer.

I would leave out any "emotional" descriptions and stick to the facts. I also wouldn't disclose that you're only a couple years out of high school...for right or for wrong, it taints your credibility.

Good luck selling your 2002! I hope you get a fair price for it. It's all about reaching the right buyer and appealing to that individual's sensibilities.

Tim

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

First- great work Reid! I can see a lot of ingenuity and labor in your car- i wish I had your skills. I really hope you pull the money you need out of the sale. I just went through your ad and pics link and saw a couple things that, although cosmetic, may have put "off" a spender on your first try. 1. engine bay pic= need to have the wiper base/"flange/tray/whatever painted all-white too - it detracts from the business -end of the shot. Probably just mask off all around it and hit it with a can that is close in color. Just do not want eyes to focus on that imperfectin first. Granted: it has nothing to do with performance, but you want the buyer to be thinking about your engine- that is your car's main stong suit. Also, looked like the underhood did not have a heatshield, and maybe had gunk from old shield still there. Same kind of thing- a completely unimportant item, that takes the eye away from the engine and has the mind wondering about "details". (Jack Fahuna's kit is 60 bucks and i have it on both cars and it is prefectly pre-cut and is silver reflective= it looks great and is easy to install and realtively cheap way to improve your engine bay/hood pics. I think that would "dress" up your under hood and force the viewer back onto the engine- where eyes should be anyway. Finally, on a high performance 02 like yours, I would want to see a sportier wheel. I may be off-base there, but I think that with your interior components being in fine shape, but the colors being slightly different, i would want buyer to think about performance; not cosmetics, and a better wheel will help do that. You do not need 300 dollar uber-rare one: just a 14 1/4 or 13 and whatever sport wheel, just eliminate the big wheel. The console gauges looked good, but you need a more conventional shot perspective next time. The others made excellent observations about the ad and i agree with them. I also have noticed that high dollar sells on ebay usually have an extensive pictoral of the car within the ad itself. Just making the potential buyer go to a link can fail to hook the potential buyer. If you re-shoot the car in some lower light for exterior shots, and to a comprehensive "nose to tail", top to bottom, 3 side engine bay pictoral, you will have a better shot at interesting buyers . If you create an ad with muli pictures, and accompanying informational sideline for each, you will be walking the buyer around and in and under the car, and the end result should be a buyer who wants to see/hear more from you through emails, etc. Like the others stated: I think the focus should be on your car's statistics; not your personal stats, lol. Not many guys have your talent , at your age, and you do not want to distract the buyer from thinking about the car to thinking about you, the builder. Let the car's numbers be premier, your personal numbers can be divulged , if necessary, during negotiation emails. As the others observed, the on road race/performance stuff is fun for US to read and enjoy- but might be "offputting" to a guy who is going to lay down 5 figures for a home custom 2002. Sorry to go so long- but I have followed your build of this car and think highly of it and I want you to yield proper compensation. Good luck on the next listing. ///

Guest Anonymous

Seriously, though...Avoid all the unnecessary adjectives, adverbs and fluff. It is a turn-off. Catalog the modifications and enhancements as succinctly as possible. I would even try a bullet point approach.

Second, I'd scrap the "Buy it Now" price altogether, but if you insist, $15K is going to make people shy away, because they'll assume that is the reserve.

Third, Try to take better and clearer pictures. Not trying to harsh on the pix you took, but you can do better.

Fourth, avoid the personal stuff. We care about you, but the bidders don't! They may take interest in the fact that you are meticulous in your aproach to modifying a car, but that's it.

Just my '02 cents...

Coop

Guest Anonymous

is a mess. To many little details clearly visible, a 15k buy it now. Iffy pics. For that kind of money people will sit and wait for a real 02 turbo. I doubt if your car ever gets pass 6k on ebay. You are asking for big league money so you need to take a big league aproach to selling it. Coops post is great about it.

Guest Anonymous

which should be by this weekend. Don't want to complete against eachother in the high-performance modified 2002 market. I can put it off if you're set on going back soon.....

Guest Anonymous

instead of pointing out how it has trouble getting traction in 1st and

second gear I would point out a revised 0-60 time of the car and list

some comparables...

IE.. The increased HP from the turbo matched with the gear ratio's on

the transmission, the car now boasts a 0-60 time of 5 seconds and

will run a quarter mile in 13 seconds flat. Putting it on par with bmw's

newest m3, chevrolet's corvette, ford's supercharged mustang cobra,

and mercedes benz's sl55. This is truly one bad bimmer. To ensure

that this kind of performance level is maintainable I've chosen a freshly

rebuilt garret t3 turbo that was rebuilt by etc etc etc... bmw guys

always love comparisions to the latest greatest fastest bmw

Which engine bay am I getting? The one with the white intake and

valve cover or the one with the aluminum finish...

I wouldn't list the milages on some of the stuff... "less than 50 miles"

on something sends a trigger to me that you did not like it... or it

drives like shit... like someone said earlier.. it doesn't look sorted..

looks like a completed project that needs tunning or is gonna require a

really trick mechanic to fix if anything broke... the clutch out of a 325

is a common upgrade but many people don't understand that.. ie. the

325i clutch provides a 40% higher clamp force than the stock unit while

maintaining smoth and easy clutch engagement. In that one sentence

I've assured the customer that it's easy to drive and that using a stock

bmw clutch won't be an issue.

hoestly if you want 15k for the car you're gonna need a dyno run, some

quarter mile times, alot better pictures... (incar video is always pimp)

Photoshop and take your time... bring out the colors that the digicam

doesn't record well on... drivers seat views of the how the gauges are

layed out and the quality of everything inside. you must convey every

detail of that car to the customer. I hate bulleted lists because people

tend to brezee over them and look for what they want... I like a

paragraph that keeps the customer reading and learning about the car.

If you can predict his questions and his reservations and answer them

then he will keep reading... fluff is boring..