grizzlebar

Interior thoughts

24 posts / 1670 viewsLast Reply

About to start work in earnest on the interior and wanted to get some input. Not sure I want the entire interior to be black or not.

I’m on the fence about replacing the carpet as is, so at least that may be a good starting point. It’s in ok condition, could use a good cleaning and some reattaching in certain spots.

I’ve got new leather for the front door cards and rear panels - all black. Plus a new black leather cover for the dash. Headliner is black.

Front seats are E21 recaros, currently black cloth, and I’m looking at getting them recovered.

Rear seats are from an E24 and are blue leather. Those will definitely need to be recovered.

FWIW, gauges are all new speedhut and the center console is getting rebuilt to have a double din set up with red led tipped toggle switches below them.

Price seat re-upholstery. More expensive than you may think. 

Cleaning the carpet may be worth a try. Carpet is $450-600 from esty, although well worth it.

Price seat re-upholstery. More expensive than you may think. 

Cleaning the carpet may be worth a try. Carpet is $450-600 from esty, although well worth it.

I may end up re-dying the rear seats. For the fronts I’m actually looking at one of the eBay sets of 21 Recaro covers.

Interior taste appears subjective. Look around and see what you like, and do that.;-)

Cheers,

• Like 1

My E39 interior is a lot of black - makes the foot wells look like a cave.  I lightened it up with some gray & black cocomats (exterior is Titanium silver).  If your carpet is in good shape after a cleaning use the $$ saved to put towards seat work & floor mats.

53BlackGrey.jpg

I am going to start on my interior soon. My plan is to go all black with a white headliner and Salt and Pepper Esty carpet. I actually like the all black look, it’s not like you are repairing Swiss watches in there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grizzlebar said:

I may end up re-dying the rear seats. For the fronts I’m actually looking at one of the eBay sets of 21 Recaro covers.

Check with Dave at Aardvarc racing. Unless you wish to do a bit of work of recovering the seats with a kit,(which can be labor intensive-ask Esty)  For me, it was worth the complete makeover that Dave does with the "Redo my seats" option. Not only was the upholstery great,  but also re-did the foam and fixed hardware as needed. Also no charge for putting on the seat rail adapters that I also ordered from him. 

For me it was worth the cost of shipping etc. for some excellent results. 

My $.02. as a Happy customer. 

• Like 1

Hope you live in a mild climate without lots of sun.  That all black interior you plan will be like an oven in the summer, and even the best '02 A/C ain't gonna make much headway cooling it down.

mike

I did a similar thing on a previous 2002. Here is an example of roughly what you're looking to do. Full black leather interior. E21 Recaros and E24 rear buckets. Black headliner.

1550941089_Interiorpassenger.thumb.jpg.92aaa327ad951ece60476bf70358e6b7.jpg

1011259576_Interiorback.thumb.jpg.90f3b88b0425c9d0d0681c267f080a9a.jpg

2054334634_Interiorfrombackseat.thumb.jpg.bcb4a32068ab88a76eec6a75cd8d4cbe.jpg

1732913795_Interiorpassengerfromback.thumb.jpg.fa7c1edc875c06e09ef6bf08722f9cb5.jpgIMG_9216.thumb.jpg.bb776a5034e7d988d4940bcf5b252bde.jpg

Interior steering.jpg

Edited by oh2ryan

My interior was beige carpet and door cards, black e21 recaros and blue rear bench. I hate beige. I got a set of e24 black rear set.  I also got a beige carpet set from Esty.  I hate beige.  I dyed the door cards black with SEM spray and turned out great.  Installed the seats and door cards and tested the beige carpet fit. Looked stupid. Plus I HATE beige.  Sold the beige set and bought a black set.  Now all my interior is black. Love it.  I highly recommend the SEM products. Make sure you clean and prime the vinyl and you are set.  You can even do your rear seats.  Good luck. 

IMG_00380-20110610-1712.jpg

IMG_00382-20110610-1713.jpg

IMG_00383-20110610-1713.jpg

IMG_00398-20110614-1800.jpg

IMG_00410-20110616-1805.jpg

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG