• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need some help with my BMW 2002

RedHobbyist

So I just got an old BMW 2002 in need of drastic refurbishment. I have several issues with it at the moment, for one I cannot find the hood release and thus have no way to look at the engine. My second issue is that without the key I cannot get into the trunk, which is where the front fenders are stored. The car may be in need of a major rebuild, but I will not be able to properly diagnose it without getting to the engine.

So long story short, does anyone know where the hood latch is and if it is missing how I can get into the engine compartment? 

Under left dash. See pix of black knob. Mine is closed so to open pull knob toward you

This tightens/loosens a cable that goes up under left hood side that rotates a long bar that goes side to side under hood. The middle of this rod has a hook that grabs a piece on the hood that draws it down when tightened

63D17913-9DA7-4525-A115-3E578AE1C1E7.thumb.jpeg.163646fe9c9353f7910fb473edaba8b1.jpeg35FC7B1B-405D-4DCA-80E8-2C192F74AB15.thumb.jpeg.e93e4e16f91a96ccc5dcaaf6577463ea.jpeg

• Like 1

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Here's your owner's manual:)

I'd suggest looking long and hard for the trunk key. 

When you  push the trunk release button, does it depress completely with no resistance? In that case, yes it's locked. If you feel resistance immediately, push harder.

If no key, go get your drill and drill the lock tumbler. 

And, what worzella said! ?

Good luck,

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Hood release is inside the car, under the dashboard and hard against the driver's side cowl.  Look up under the dash and you should see a black handle; pull it toward you and that will (hopefully) release the hood, which is hinged at the front.

Trunk key is different from the ignition key, so you're missing both.  Check the glovebox--you may get lucky and find the trunk key in there.  There are ways to jar a locked trunk lid so that it'll open, but I'll leave the specifics to someone who's actually done that.  As an aside, if you need to get an ignition switch key, it's easier to remove one of the door handles than it is to remove the ignition lock.  The door and ignition locks are keyed alike (at least they were from the factory); were it mine, I'd remove the passenger door handle as it's more likely to be original than the driver's.  And once you have the trunk open, you can easily remove the trunk lock and have a key cut for it too.

And if you're really feeling lucky and there's a BMW dealer nearby, crawl under the dash and look at the back side of the ignition switch.  If you see a little paper sticker with a letter followed by numbers, that's the key code, and a BMW dealer can order a key cut to that code.  

BTW, welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.  Lotsa friendly people and good info here.  Where are you located?  There are 02 owners all over the US, Canada, Australia, Europe and Latin America...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If the latch is missing, you should be able to just lift the hood open.

The release lever is mounted on the left kick panel. Pull it back/up to release the latch, push it down/forward to engage it. It's not like a modern car.

As for getting into the trunk, what year is your car?

as Mike mentioned, the hood hinges forward, pull it up by getting your fingers under the edge of the hood at the base of the windscreen.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Thank you guys! I found the hood release, but it appears to be broken, the hood opened anyways. Also the trunk was just stuck and not actually locked, nothing a little brute force couldn't solve. 

Just one last question, where on the vehicle can I find the VIN number? 

Thanks once again!

The vin will be stamped on the top of the right front fender  and there's a riveted plate in that area, there's also one on the top of the steering shaft cover just ahead of the wheel but that one is easy to change out and may not be original to the car.

PS it's only a 7 digit number not 16 numbers as in newer cars.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

does anyone know where the hood latch is

In this crowd?  

I'd say that's pretty unlikely.  

t

not one to let a newbie go unhazed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 12/25/2018 at 2:14 PM, RedHobbyist said:

Thanks!

I will post some pictures of the car later if you guys are interested, but let me forewarn you that it is in rough shape

Pics are a requirement for newbies....awaiting...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

4 hours ago, jrhone said:

Pics are a requirement for newbies....awaiting...

And the year of your car.  Square tail trunks can be opened easily through the license plate holder wire grommet. Not sure about roundies.  

• Thanks 1

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

3 hours ago, tashakes said:

Square tailed trunks can be opened easily

While I can visualise how this might be done. Not sure it would be ‘easy’ (or not for me anyway). 

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/