Bibm5

E21 cv axle question

7 posts / 406 viewsLast Reply

I'm putting together my hybrid 2002/ e21 exles and have a quick question. The plan is to use 2002 axles and outer cv joint with e21 inner cv joints with my e21 lsd swap. My question : is there any difference between the e21 inner and outer cv joint? The reason I ask is because the inner e21 boot on one of the axles was torn and full of crap. While I feel it would clean up and perform ok I would prefer not to use it if at all possible. The inner and outer units look identical so I'm thinking it should work. Just figured I'd get some input from people who have crossed this bridge already.

Thanks 4bf5382c52ed4a530386c804f4a8b2a3.jpg58fd14eb7624c03993266e6ddccf5f0e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just did this rebuild and had all 4 E21 cv's apart and they were identical.  

Are you planning on disassembling the races and cleaning up the bearings? 

Edited by Get2theBimmah
  • Like 1

I just did this rebuild and had all 4 E21 cv's apart and they were identical.  

Are you planning on disassembling the races and cleaning up the bearings? 
Awesome!

Yes, i completely disassembled the joints, cleaned and inspected the parts before reassembly and lube. All went back together just fine but for some reason one of the e21 joints isn't cooperating. It's jammed or something. Gonna have to disassemble it again tomorrow and figure out what I did wrong. Yay.
Usually I take more pictures throughout projects but this was very messy. I wasn't trying to touch my phone much. d293d33a66d348d13a02a2779742c23a.jpg

If your cv's are jammed up, you have to make sure you inserted the race into the center correctly.  There is a specific way it allows the bearings to rotate inside the cv. 

I've included a pic while I did it with the points color coded of how they line up.  

\CVinnercolors.thumb.jpg.7438e0787af252509737bb4da19e790f.jpg

A2.jpg

You are exactly correct. I just finished it (back) up. I popped it back open and rearranged it and its good to go now!
Thanks!

I scrolled up and can even see I have it oriented wrong in the pic I posted... It was just after 1am when I finished it up so I guess I'll play the "fatigue" card this time[emoji28].

• Haha 1