• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct battery for 72 2002tii?

Schatzie

General consensus seems to be a group 26R.  Yo may have to shim the battery a little for the clamp to clasp the battery case, but it works.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Call me a radical, but I went with this Anti-Gravity Lithium Ion at 2.8 lbs versus stock at around 35 lbs! It is located under the rear seat area, passenger side, but I deleted my back seat. You could put it in the engine bay area as well.

My car isn't up and running yet, but there are plenty of Porsche guys running Lithium Ion. My buddy has one in his 71S and says his car has never started more quickly or easily. 32 pound savings!

480CCA isn't a killer size, but should be plenty for temperate climate driving. 

• Like 3

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

Call me a radical, but I went with this Anti-Gravity Lithium Ion at 2.8 lbs versus stock at around 35 lbs! It is located under the rear seat area, passenger side, but I deleted my back seat. You could put it in the engine bay area as well.

My car isn't up and running yet, but there are plenty of Porsche guys running Lithium Ion. My buddy has one in his 71S and says his car has never started more quickly or easily. 32 pound savings!

I was wondering, was there anything that you need to change for the alternator to charge it? I believe some Li batteries require some changes to the alternator. 

Here is one site: 

https://shop.pkys.com/Alternator-Lithium-Battery.html

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

That's really cool, and much smaller and more powerful than my 19lb AGM.

Tho it comes with a substantial price tag I think I could rationalize it! My AGM is 340CCA/19lbs (and under the seat)  which has always been enough, so a smaller (cheaper?) Li ion may be adequate as well. I was all set to pooh-pooh your idea, but nuh-uh! ?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

Cool find! 

It looks like the battery has a built in Battery Management System (BMS). Just put it on my Amazon Wish list...

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Exide Classic 26RC. Fits perfectly in ‘72-‘73 tii’s and has “short side” ridges to catch the factory hold-down clamp at the aft end of the battery tray.

Regards,

Steve

16F70E0B-CF61-4657-8BDC-10CDEA3B577A.thumb.jpeg.c672823964d65f97b9e17fe5299706f1.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

15 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Exide Classic 26RC. Fits perfectly in ‘72-‘73 tii’s and has “short side” ridges to catch the factory hold-down clamp at the aft end of the battery tray.

Regards,

Steve

16F70E0B-CF61-4657-8BDC-10CDEA3B577A.thumb.jpeg.c672823964d65f97b9e17fe5299706f1.jpeg

Is that a metal FI line? :D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

56 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Cool find! 

It looks like the battery has a built in Battery Management System (BMS). Just put it on my Amazon Wish list...

Yes, but not cheap. I'm betting these come down in price within a year or so. In any case, of the 'wear' items on a car, batteries are pretty much number one unless you drive 20,000 miles per year. I'm guessing I'll be replacing it in 3-4 years anyway, so I'm willing to give it a shot to save 30 plus pounds.

30 pounds ain't easy to shave and still maintain it as a road versus track car. Just think what weighs 30 pounds you can get rid of? Racing versus stock seats maybe, but that'll cost you big bucks. Bumpers? Yes, huge loss. Spare tire? Yes, but it makes sense to carry one. Soundproofing? Yes, there are gains to be made there but not 30 pounds. Back seat delete? Yes, almost 30 pounds lost. A/C and parts? Definitely. Console? Yes but not 30 pounds. Carpet? No. 

To me, it's the easiest and quickest weight loss to be had. Bumpers give you more loss, but then you have to do something to replace them.

Then again, most guys don't even care.?

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

16 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

There's a second aspect to it. I wanted to relocate to the trunk, but if it's soooo light, why bother? Thanks for the idea.

Andrew

The other reason for trunk or under back seat relocation is it de-clutters the engine bay, making maintenance easier. I cut out and removed my battery tray as well.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I don't find the engine bay cluttered, even in my ti. I've restored Citroen DS21 and SM, it's great replacing the inboard brake rotors...so that corner with the battery box doesn't bother at all...it's just the weight...

A.

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight