sort77

sun visor mounts

6 posts / 380 viewsLast Reply

Here is a stupid question.

Where do the sunvisors mount to?

I'm finally working through the mess that was made of my 02's restoration and not having sun visors is finally getting to me. I have a terrible, but intact headliner that was installed in my car. They installed the catch points but not the visors—See photo

So, Before I start stabbing holes into the headliner I figured I'd ask if there is a piece they could have removed (because they likely did) or if the mounting points are fixed. Any advice is welcome.

If it matters this is a 1972.

IMG_8873.jpg

You will ultimately need to stab some holes. I assume that they didn’t leave the screws in place to allow you to find the holes by feel?

i would search for some pictures of that rail area without the headliner in place to give you an idea where you are shooting. 

There are some great pictures of that area in this thread.

And a shot from inside for a little better context, from Keith Kreeger at my2002tii.com. Check out the "table of contents" on his site for lots of great construction/restoration photos

pic-%20117.jpg

• Like 2

You can find the mounting holes pretty easily by using the pictures kindly posted by Jimmy, feeling for the rectangular hole with your finger, then locating the small screw holes with a blunt piece of wood--like a coffee stirrer or popsicle stick.  That way you won't accidentally make a hole in the headliner in the wrong spot.

The big hole allows the ball joint on the end of the bracket to fit into the roof, so you'll most likely have to cut a small X in the headliner for that hole, and then punch the mounting screw holes with a nail or pointed punch.

mike 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I recovered the B pillar before locating the holes for the strap handle. It's a touchy feely job, but doable.

• Like 1

Hey guys sorry for the late response, For some reason I wasn't getting notifications on new posts. This is VERY helpful. 

Glad this isn't a case of me needing to track down something else random and hard to find.