Dionk

Dust shields when using an e21 hub and caliper

12 posts / 390 viewsLast Reply

Greetings all did a quick search on the faq and didn’t immediately find the answer I was looking for.

for my front brakes I’ll be using the 1977 e21 calipers and vented rotors on a e21 hub minted to a 2002 strut. 

At at least that’s my plan- my question is what dust shield should I use?  I have both e21 and 2002 options.

I'm doing the same thing as you. I have a set of 2002 shields but I think I'd have to modify to fit cause I think you need the E21 shields and they should bolt right up. Don't wanna steel thread but if anybody has a set of E21 front shields I could use a pair.

• Like 1

The problem I think is with the E21 hubs, That dust shield has a protrusion that comes out over the hub to protect bearings from dust

55 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

The problem I think is with the E21 hubs, That dust shield has a protrusion that comes out over the hub to protect bearings from dust

Do mean when using the 2002 shields or the e21shields?

11 minutes ago, Dionk said:

Do mean when using the 2002 shields or the e21shields?

The E21 dust shield has the protrusion over the E21 hub, 02 shield doesn't have it and more of a flat shape shield. Also 02 shields will go on without removing hubs, E21 shields you have to remove the hub for fitment. The 02 shield doesn't have any protection for the hub, I was thinking of adding a piece of sheet metal to stick out over the E21 hub. 

I removed the dust shield years ago to get better cooling with the vented rotors.  Never had a problem.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I removed the dust shield years ago to get better cooling with the vented rotors.  Never had a problem.

That crossed my mind, Still deciding

You can cut the 2002 debris shield with tinsnips.

It's that easy.

t

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rcf925 said:

The E21 dust shield has the protrusion over the E21 hub, 02 shield doesn't have it and more of a flat shape shield. Also 02 shields will go on without removing hubs, E21 shields you have to remove the hub for fitment. The 02 shield doesn't have any protection for the hub, I was thinking of adding a piece of sheet metal to stick out over the E21 hub. 

That sounds like what I have on my 76 2002, I just trimmed them slightly with a pair of snips to fit the larger Volvo calipers for my big brake conversion.

Another early/late difference?  I suspect the "E21 shields" are the same as late '02 shields.

20180707_211315.thumb.jpg.2c15970d8a7de878a79436d83baa6f98.jpg

On 12/20/2018 at 3:00 AM, TobyB said:

You can cut the 2002 debris shield with tinsnips.

Toby is this the debris shield?  

7058B4F1-9CAE-4B47-AA1D-99C1C8FB38B9.jpeg

B76E231E-30C9-494B-B54F-032E581FC784.jpeg

Ive been running without the shields after my big brake conversion for 15  years or more BUT will be putting them back on primarily to keep rain and water off the rotors, since when it is wet and rainy ( all the time here around Seattle) there can be a delay in braking while the calipers and pads squeegee off the water, a little disconcerting! 

• Confused 1