• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Importing a car to Canada

kiva667

I posted this in the PNW regional discussion but I guess the audience is bigger here (even tho my car is an NK):

I plan to move me and my car to Victoria BC next year and I’m wondering if anyone has recent recent experience with our friendly borders (insert irony and sarcasm here).

Years ago I imported my ‘62 700 to Quebec and all I had to do was drive the car to the border, sign some paperwork and be on my way. Now I hear you have to pay an American Customs broker etc etc

Any advice would be helpful - thanks!

Edited by kiva667
Grammar

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I have not imported a car INTO Canada but in the process of exporting a 2002Ti from BC into Washington State the Canadian customs people were very helpful and able to get me the information I needed almost immediately. Making sure you have all of the appropriate documentation is key.  If you have a clear WA state Title and registration in your name and you are taking it into BC because you have a residence there now should make this a easy transaction.   I would call them and ask. 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Check the CBSA website for importation forms, rules and regulations.

I imported a 2001 Audi into Canada in 2005 and ran into trouble at the Canadian Customs side.

I had all my documents but was missing an "export permit" . This document had to come from my state's DMV confirming that all outstanding taxes were paid and the vehicle was free and clear of any liens. This had to be stored by the US customs agents before proceeding into Canada. So check with US customs on what is required for the vehicle

Then once in Canada you will likely require an "out of province" safety inspection (this was in Alberta and it may be different for BC). So besides checking with CBSA, you must also check withdrawal the DMV in BC to confirm what conditions apply to register the vehicle in the new jurisdiction. If the vehicle fails a safety inspection, you will be unable to register it until it does and re-inspection has time limits and additional unexpected costs.

It may be different for classic cars so be thorough in your due diligence. A broker will of course do all of this for you for a fee.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Dude I got mine from Cali.  Use Border Buddy.  You will still need to pay taxes when you put it on the road, but they do all the paperwork and hand-hold you through border stuff.  

PM me and we can talk by phone if you wish. 

https://borderbuddy.com/

Edited by Dudeland
PM message

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002