• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air conditioner VS Air Extraction

Flamingo 5

‘02’s without sunroofs have a 1960’s version (read, “primitive”) of flow-through ventilation: air is sucked/forced into the headliner just above the rear window and exhausted under the trunk lid, on either side of the trunk.

The first two photos show the right and left exhaust outlets. The third and fourth photos show the partially-corrugated plastic tubes that conduct the extracted air from the rear bulkhead to the exhaust outlets.

The system, in my opinion, is ineffectual.

’02’s with sunroofs do not have this system: the factory was concerned that air within the headliner could balloon the headliner, and possibly blow it out. Accordingly, they made adjustments to examples with sunroofs.

Regards,

Steve

5DD33C09-2AF1-4446-8A13-6F24AC91DD20.jpeg

960857D2-CE75-4225-AE44-8DEA1EB1C9C7.jpeg

C858EF84-4670-4100-AF3A-53B3B168096B.jpeg

F8C47A78-149B-4DCF-9289-D2587D2CDD26.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

23 minutes ago, Conserv said:

’02’s with sunroofs do not have this system: the factory was concerned that air within the headliner could ballon the headliner, and possibly blow it out.

It was more than a concern--it happened, especially on the Autobahns' higher-than-the-US speeds.  Took the factory a year or so to realize this (plus headliners replaced under warranty). 

BMW first solved the problem by plugging the plastic exhaust hoses with stray chunks of foam rubber (my '69 is done that way).  Then the bean counters realized that they could save a dollar or so by not fitting sunroof cars with the exhaust tubes; they plugged the holes in the trunk with grey plastic plugs.  Not sure when this started, but I believe in late '69 or early 70 production.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I’ve noticed no temperature difference between air conditioned cars without sunroofs (having flow-through ventilation) and those with sunroofs (having no flow-through ventilation), which suggests the flow-through ventilation is pretty ineffectual, particularly when your windows are closed, which they will be while you’re operating the air conditioning.

Still, although I’m sold on ‘02 air conditioning, it most certainly does not meet modern cooling standards, or even the cooling standards of U.S. domestic cars of the ‘02 era. The limitation is the distribution of the cool air, and the flow-through ventilation is probably not a material detriment.

Regards,

Steve

My 67 has both sunroof and flothrough 

and I also have Clear glass that

promotes green house warming.

so my plan is 

1. Insulate firewall to NASA specs

2. Insulation everywhere 

3. Remove heater box

4.use Tii iron exhaust manifold 

5. Custom ac

i cant stand tinted windows 

even the type you supposed to not be able to see

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

My 67 has both sunroof and flothrough 

and I also have Clear glass that

promotes green house warming.

so my plan is 

1. Insulate firewall to NASA specs

2. Insulation everywhere 

3. Remove heater box

4.use Tii iron exhaust manifold 

5. Custom ac

i cant stand tinted windows 

even the type you supposed to not be able to see

Do it all: it certainly can’t hurt. But, ultimately, the greenhouse has a lot of glass for its size. If you can figure out how to distribute the cooled air to the outer perimeter of the greenhouse — in contrast to the common Frigiking, Behr, and Clardy units, which only distribute air to the inner core of the greenhouse — you’ll wind up with a better A/C system.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mike said:

It was more than a concern--it happened, especially on the Autobahns' higher-than-the-US speeds.  Took the factory a year or so to realize this (plus headliners replaced under warranty). 

BMW first solved the problem by plugging the plastic exhaust hoses with stray chunks of foam rubber (my '69 is done that way).  Then the bean counters realized that they could save a dollar or so by not fitting sunroof cars with the exhaust tubes; they plugged the holes in the trunk with grey plastic plugs.  Not sure when this started, but I believe in late '69 or early 70 production.  

mike

My early ‘70, with sunroof, Mike, (VIN 1668093, September 8, 1969) was obviously later than your ‘69. And I recall discovering the foam stuffed in at least one of the flow-through holes, assumed it was a factory accident, and discarded the errant foam...

Luckily, I totaled that car before the headliner blew out at speed....??

Hey, I was a punk kid. What the hell did I know! ? How could I have known that a respected German car manufacturer would solve a design defect by stuffing foam rubber scraps in a duct? ?

Best regards,

Steve

92E1120C-0311-4827-897C-3C4D8BB202FF.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

I just discovered that piece of foam in my car and thought it was errant as well. As a sunroof-ed car, do I want the flow through holes plugged up or not? I didn't even know they had a purpose until reading this thread.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

The air pushed aside by the sleek aerodynamic shape of the 2002 causes a low pressure zone along side the car and roof (same as an airplane wing does).  Open the side window or sunroof and air is sucked out of the car. Then all kinds of nasty stuff is sucked from the rear.

Same low pressure effect as when the hood is unlatched, at about 65 mph the hood partially lifts.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

I just discovered that piece of foam in my car and thought it was errant as well. As a sunroof-ed car, do I want the flow through holes plugged up or not? I didn't even know they had a purpose until reading this thread.

Leave them plugged, Nick!

28 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Leave them plugged, Nick!

My intuition was correct. There was only the passenger side foam present, and it was too old and ratty looking to have been stuffed in there by a prior owner...had to be the factory. I theorized the drivers side was removed during a dent repair, so I removed the foam and replaced both sides with chair stuffing.

Crazy what these guys did back then.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS