Brandon

Bought My First E30!

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recently picked up this completely stock ‘89 325is with manual tranny and only 97k documented miles!  First E30 I’ve owned and very excited to cruise around in this thing come spring.  So, should I keep it stock or do some mods...what do you think?

917A4B25-1421-4145-A90A-B55FD5C511BF.jpeg

2B061DDC-76A1-422B-B8EE-B5D839231C04.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

I recognize that place 😃

IMG_0012.jpg

Yup, the e30 is over my parent’s house right now for the winter...they have the room!  

Beautiful car! Looks just look my second e30 only way nicer and much less miles.
It almost seems to clean / original to be modded to much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tashakes said:

It's already stock and gorgeous,  I would keep it as it is and just do some springs to shorten that gap and call it a day.  Nice find. 

I was kind of thinking this route, keeping things mostly stock with a couple minor upgrades like springs, shocks, exhaust, and maybe wheels/tires...

• Like 1

Springs Shocks and M3 Control Arm lolly pop bushings up front

Be careful on spring choice do lots of research. (Forget which I selected back in the day)

If you get annoyed with 14 inch rims and tire choices go for Kosei K1 Racing from tire rack.

(oh and by the way very jealous)

IMG_bmw318is.jpg

Edited by mgben
comment and pic

11 hours ago, mgben said:

If you get annoyed with 14 inch rims and tire choices...

That’s the reason I want to go with different, larger wheels because of the lack of tire choices for 14”.  I was thinking maybe some 15” 325ix basketweaves to keep the stock look but even that size is limited for tires.  I have some other wheel choices in mind but they definitely are not a stock look and I may have to upgrade to 5 lug hubs, which I’m also ok with.

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

That’s the reason I want to go with different, larger wheels because of the lack of tire choices for 14”.  I was thinking maybe some 15” 325ix basketweaves to keep the stock look but even that size is limited for tires.  I have some other wheel choices in mind but they definitely are not a stock look and I may have to upgrade to 5 lug hubs, which I’m also ok with.

Can you reveal more about where you found it and other details? I've been around e30's since they were new but never owned one.

23 hours ago, jgerock said:

Can you reveal more about where you found it and other details? I've been around e30's since they were new but never owned one.

I found it up in Maine for sale by the second owner who bought it in 1991.  She didn’t use the car in the winter which kept the mileage down and prevented any rust from forming.  She also had kept all service records from her ownership which helped to document the miles.  Also with the car were papers from the original sale to the first owner which includes the window sticker (over $29k new in 1989!)...so the car has good provenance.  It’s completely stock and in perfect shape...couple minor things like the original radio doesn’t work and the trunk spoiler has wear where it was touched when closing the lid for thirty years.  I figure with a stock car, if I do any light mods I have the original parts to put back on so I’m really happy I found this one. 

• Like 2

They are entertaining cars. A buddy had a couple of them. Given the condition of that one, if it were me I'd do shocks/struts, new suspension bushings all around, poly stiffeners in the rear subframe bushings, and 15" wheels, nothing more (except basic maintenance, of course - don't forget about the timing belt). If you absolutely have to lower it, don't go crazy.